Shopsmith 75th Anniversary Celebration/User Group Meeting

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jpdalton
Gold Member

Shopsmith 75th Anniversary Celebration/User Group Meeting

Post by jpdalton »

UPDATE:

I appreciate the responses I've received on this matter! Between this group and people responding on Facebook and the 10er email group, we have a healthy level of interest that should give us the critical mass we need to proceed.

I've reached back out to the Folkerths at Shopsmith for confirmation of a date for the event, and I expect we'll have that firmed up next week. With that in place, I'll start making some inquiries into hotel options for the out of towners, and will try to determine options for some of the offsite activities. I've also asked the Shopsmith team for their point of contact for the logistics, to make sure we can coordinate and get all the interested participants the information they need to make their individual plans.

Stay tuned - and thanks for your support on this effort!

The important details first...

A few weeks back, I started a thread inquiring about interest in a Shopsmith enthusiast event to coincide with the 75th anniversary of the release of the original Model 10-E. There’s been a lot of progress, so let me do a quick summary, then I’ll provide more background:
  • The current plan is to target an in-person event in Dayton, OH sometime in October. This would be a “Friday afternoon through Sunday morning” event, similar to the User Group meetings that Shopsmith has staged in the past.
  • This would be hosted largely at the Shopsmith headquarters facility, and provide an opportunity for a factory tour, product/technique demonstrations, and keynote/updates/product announcements from Shopsmith management.
  • Outside of the factory-based activities, the user community would have an opportunity to organize some social activities and/or group meals, if there’s sufficient interest.
A number of you from the community responded positively to my original inquiry. Now with this additional detail, I’d like to get feedback once again from everyone on your interest in the above proposed format, in Dayton, in October. Please respond to let me know if you would be available and willing to attend (clearly not a commitment, but to gauge interest).

Now some background details:
  • First of all, I haven’t forgotten the many community members who understandably will not be able to travel to OH to attend. Although I can’t guarantee a live-stream of any portion of this, I would expect a recording could be made for later online viewing of the factory events.
  • The Folkerth family who owns Shopsmith Inc. is very enthusiastic about the prospect of supporting a user community event. When I spoke to them recently to make the proposal, they volunteered to host the key events at the headquarters facility, and set the expectation that there would be no cost for the factory-based events.
  • They were excited about the pending release of their new e-commerce website, and mentioned that they have some other exciting announcements that they would be able to reveal at the time of the event.
  • They indicated that they could provide some of the organizational logistics – providing a sign-up page on their website, and reaching out to their own mailing list with invitations. Once the plans are better established, I’m sure that the Shopsmith team would appreciate any efforts we in the community can make to get the word out to potential participants, even outside of current Shopsmith users.
So, while the Shopsmith team is providing a lot of the “technical” content of the event, it’s up to the user community to figure out the social content. There are a number of things we could do socially, depending upon interest and budget (these, we’d have a pay into to make happen):
  • Friday cocktail meet-and-greet
  • Saturday wrap-up banquet (could include vendor presentations, panel discussions, etc.)
  • Outing (a trip to the National Museum of the Air Force is cheap and spectacular!)
This continues to be a work in progress – I really appreciate the enthusiasm that’s been expressed so far, and I look forward to firming up some plans and finally meeting a few of you out there who share this passion!
Last edited by jpdalton on Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Dalton
Massachusetts
1948 10E, S/N 5052 (restored)
1950 10ER, S/N 26473 (restored)
1952 10ER, S/N 51721 (restored as dedicated drill press)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263334 (functionally restored)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263705 (restored/PowerPro)
c1959 Mark 2, S/N 81940 (undergoing restoration)
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith 75th Anniversary Celebration/User Group Meeting

Post by algale »

I'm interested!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I am interested. We would have to fly in from Salt Lake City and rent a car but that is OK. My cousin, who I haven't seen since 1972, and her husband live in Dayton. I introduced her now husband to her.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I am interested :)
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am interested!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

I have some frequent flier miles and hotel points to burn. Sounds like fun.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I am leaving all of October free until we get the date settled. Wasn't hard to do, I don't even have anything on the calendar in May yet.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Thanks! I could see making a day-trip for the Saturday portion.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Count me in at this time!!!
Bill V
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I'm looking forward to it -- will be great to meet you guys in person!