I think I will stick with my Mark 7

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: I think I will stick with my Mark 7

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:53 pm Me too. But... While this specific implementation would not be useful to me it has some interesting ideas. I'm a fan of the 'mini' over a Power Station. Expanding that with some of the ideas represented here, I can see a mini with dedicated DP or a mini with dedicated Mark-mounted OAR. I like either. Basically a smaller and simplified version of this, leveraging the modified Headrest shown.

In the second pic, with the left headstock as table saw: The main table is reversed infeed for outfeed. The reason for that is not clear to me. Similarly, it is set up with the blade running between the main table and a floating table rather than through a table insert. Sort of along the lines of the 500 version with two saw slots?

The modified Headrests appear to use knobs rather than a lever to lock the tie bar. The exact implementation of that is not clear. Intuitively, I don't think it will lock nearly as tight as the lever, though I'm not sure this matters. Double tilts don't lock down as tight as the lever either.

- David
David,

Thanks. You bring up some good points. Yeah, I don't get why the left main table is swapped infeed<->outfeed either. It also makes no sense why to have the left tablesaw blade going between the main table and a floating table. Perhaps these two items are connected? It might be that a 2nd owner of this machine put it together backwards after they received it. Since they couldn't figure out how to get the tablesaw insert to work on that left unit they just slid the left main table to the right and used the gap with a floating table for cuts on that side? Definitely seems like something is lost in translation on this build.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Re reversed (in/out) of the left table, that allows the table to tilt(ass backwards) for headstock under stuff. That created the need for the main/aux table separation to be used for sawing. The 'center flat surface becomes a replacement for the bench tubes as shown in the first pix.(not sure why it matters)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I was just wondering how you would move it if it had to be moved?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Wheels.

It has the Retractable Casters that have been upgraded to the 3" wheels, although it would likely wear them out faster with the extra weight.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I don't know, it just looks unstable to me, but that's how I look at it.
BPR