Lift assist on 10 E R

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

illwinds
Bronze Member

Lift assist on 10 E R

Post by illwinds »

Does anyone know if the lift assist will fit/work on a model 10 ER?
I’ve tried searching through this forum and had no luck, so if this has been discussed, maybe someone could direct me to it.
Thanks in advance.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Lift assist on 10 E R

Post by JPG »

Since the lift assist mounts to the bench tubes, what would they mount to on a model 10? ;)

Then here is that heavier cast iron to consider.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As JPG indicates the answer is no. As shown in the picture below the Lift Assist attaches to the Way and Bench Tubes. The Model 10E and 10ER tools do not have bench tubes for that attachment. The Lift Assist may be able to work if there were modifications made to the bench and the Lift Assist itself to make it work on a Model 10E or 10ER. That would bring out the second problem JPG addressed which is weight. The Lift Assist for the Mark 7 or Mark V with the Power Pro Headstock has a stronger piston, but I don't think it is strong enough for the Model 10E or 10ER.

_
Lift-Assist.jpg
Lift-Assist.jpg (11.38 KiB) Viewed 884 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

The easiest solution is to pickup a second 10ER at a good price and make it a dedicated drill press. :)

lightstand3.JPG
lightstand3.JPG (94.13 KiB) Viewed 863 times

The other option I have thought of, but not pursued, was to use spiral torsion springs. These are used to position load covers for dump trucks, and are fairly inexpensive. link to an example listing, more than one would be used to achieve the desired lift.
https://www.carolinatarps.com/item/9301

I am thinking that the mounting shaft for the springs could be mounted to the bench or back of the pivot base in line with or in place of the pin.

There was some discussion on an alternate lift assist for a Mark V in the thread linked below, but I am not aware of a resolution.
viewtopic.php?t=24648&hilit=spring+lift+assist
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ron,

Nice lamp holder.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.