Touchup paint for an oldy

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rcartmetal
Gold Member

Touchup paint for an oldy

Post by rcartmetal »

Greetings, Smitties! I have a 1963 Anniversary model with the copper and gold paint job, and it is looking a little tatty. I was wondering if there might be someone who could advise with regards to a brand of paint that might bear a reasonable facsimile of the colors that came from the factory.
Thanks so much for any help in my quest!

Spike Cornelius
Portland, OR
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

Hammertite Gold and Copper seems to be the way to go. I've seen a couple of restos, one Gold/Copper and a Greenie done in Hammertite and they were gorgeous!!
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
rcartmetal
Gold Member

Post by rcartmetal »

Thanks for the tip, Eric. Only thing is I'm not finding a copper color amidst the offerings!

Spike
Spike from PDX
I like hand tools, too!
rcartmetal
Gold Member

Paint found, New Project

Post by rcartmetal »

Well, I found the copper colored hammer finish paint that matches the 10th anniversary SS, and it is made by Rustoleum!
I aquired a Magna "greenie" jointer in need of some TLC, and after updating the mechanicals I am painting it to match my 2 tone '63 MkV.
Does anyone know if they color matched the special purpose tools back in the early 60's?
Spike from PDX
I like hand tools, too!
easterngray
Platinum Member

paints

Post by easterngray »

Yes, they did. I also have an anniversary model Mark V with the jig saw, which is in the anniversary colors. I intend to repaint with the Rustoleum hammered finish paints. I'll post pictures when I get her done.. it would be great to see yours as well - have fun! Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
rcartmetal
Gold Member

Post by rcartmetal »

I also have a bandsaw, from 1986, that I would like to repaint. How did they do the color on yours, Alec?
Spike from PDX
I like hand tools, too!