Non Through cuts on table saw - Safety Tips

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Non Through cuts on table saw - Safety Tips

Post by DLB »

HopefulSSer wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:55 pm
JPG wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:00 pm A hole drilled/tapped in the 500 hold down end will allow attaching a SS tnut(using a short stud) etc. thus 'upgrading' to 510 version.
I'm losing the plot here. What 500 piece is being tapped and what is being upgraded to the 510 version? Upper guard? Riving knife? Something else?
I think they are referring to the hollow chisel mortising hold down. But I reread it when you asked and I'm equally happy to be wrong about it. The vertical mount featherboard (highly recommended) is also a form of hold down and I don't know if or how it can work with a 500 except with the upgraded fence as we discussed in another thread. Though I've only used the 520 version much, a T-slot on top of the fence is pretty useful though I wasn't smart enough to miss it in my Greenie days.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

5/8"od 'post' that the hold down mounts to. The m5/mV500 version is a simple shaft with closed ends. The mV 5x0 version(s) have a threaded stud on one end.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

To clarify, what JPG is talking about is the mortising accessory. On the Model 10 and the early MK5/V the mortise hold down mounted to the fence with a vertical hole in the fence for the hold down post. With the advent of the upgraded MK 500 there is a T track in the top of the fence. No longer a hole for the post of the hold down. Now the post has a threaded stud on the end to accept a T nut that secures the post to the top of the fence. Same for the 510 and 520 fence.

So if you want to convert your old model mortise hold down post to the new version, just drill and tap a hole in the end to accept the appropriate threaded stud.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT