feather boards on a MK V 500

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: feather boards on a MK V 500

Post by Hobbyman2 »

chapmanruss wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:49 pm Hobbyman2,

Previously you said
I was looking at the top of the 510 fence , it has a grove in the top for the mortise hold down , I have been switching back and forth as needed with the original MK V table to use the old hold down , I had not seen the ss feather board , I will look for one as well ,Thanks ,, I am totally surprised after all these years that no one has added a adjustable feather board and a replaceable sacrificial strip to their fence .
So, I am curious, you have been switching between your original 500 table system and the 510/505 table upgrade? Do you have both carriages mounted or do you take apart as needed to switch the table systems? If you are switching back to the 500 table system just to use your Mortise Hold Down have you considered upgrading it to use on your 510 fence's T track? What you need to change the Hold Down is

part number 514487 Hold Down Rod (has the threaded end)
part number 514490 Flat Washer (OEM is a 3/8" ID heavy thick washer with a 115/128" OD)
part number 514491 Miter Slot T Nut

Those will cost less than half the price of buying a new Hold Down. The rod has a threaded end and the washer goes on first followed by the T nut. The T nut and washer clamp onto the fence's T track to hold the Hold Down in place. Any thicker (to avoid bending) heavy duty 3/8" ID washer with an outside diameter larger than the T track slot (around 15/16") should work. A lot easier than changing table systems.

As needed, I add a sacrificial face to my fence to avoid blade contact. I have feather boards that can attach to not only the table but the fence in different ways. The feather boards can easily be added to a sacrificial face.
--------------

Thanks for the information
I originally bought the SS as a MKV 500 , I up graded the table to the 510 , I kept the MKV 500 table and all the parts associated with it , if I need the hold down I just swap the carriage and the table , its not that big a issue , I could be wrong but I feel the smaller table is more stable in the drill press mode , the table and fence from the original 500 set up come in handy as well as adds a great deal of versatility to the machine . I have used a table on both sides of the headstock and a 500 fence as a stop when I set the unit up as a stand for the miter saws .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: feather boards on a MK V 500

Post by Hobbyman2 »

chapmanruss wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:49 pm Hobbyman2,

Previously you said
I was looking at the top of the 510 fence , it has a grove in the top for the mortise hold down , I have been switching back and forth as needed with the original MK V table to use the old hold down , I had not seen the ss feather board , I will look for one as well ,Thanks ,, I am totally surprised after all these years that no one has added a adjustable feather board and a replaceable sacrificial strip to their fence .
So, I am curious, you have been switching between your original 500 table system and the 510/505 table upgrade? Do you have both carriages mounted or do you take apart as needed to switch the table systems? If you are switching back to the 500 table system just to use your Mortise Hold Down have you considered upgrading it to use on your 510 fence's T track? What you need to change the Hold Down is

part number 514487 Hold Down Rod (has the threaded end)
part number 514490 Flat Washer (OEM is a 3/8" ID heavy thick washer with a 115/128" OD)
part number 514491 Miter Slot T Nut

Those will cost less than half the price of buying a new Hold Down. The rod has a threaded end and the washer goes on first followed by the T nut. The T nut and washer clamp onto the fence's T track to hold the Hold Down in place. Any thicker (to avoid bending) heavy duty 3/8" ID washer with an outside diameter larger than the T track slot (around 15/16") should work. A lot easier than changing table systems.

As needed, I add a sacrificial face to my fence to avoid blade contact. I have feather boards that can attach to not only the table but the fence in different ways. The feather boards can easily be added to a sacrificial face.
------------------

Thanks Russ I had considered the 510 fence hold down , since I have both tables and fences a new set up is just more parts that I dont really need at this time. I am running out of room and I have too many hobbies, in reality I have 2 SS,, LOL I have a MKV 500 and a MKV 510 depending on the table I am using .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)