feather boards on a MK V 500

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

feather boards on a MK V 500

Post by Hobbyman2 »

thought I would post a picture on my feather board set up on the MKV 500 , so far it has proven to work without a issue .
Screenshot_20220430-165258_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220430-165258_Gallery.jpg (87.87 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: feather boards on a MK V 500

Post by DLB »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:56 pm thought I would post a picture on my feather board set up on the MKV 500 , so far it has proven to work without a issue .

Screenshot_20220430-165258_Gallery.jpg
Looks good. But a 505/510, I'd say. ;)

SS makes a vertical mount featherboard for all versions (I think) that have a T-slot in the top of the fence. I used them on 520 before switching to the JessEm stock guides. For the 500 I think they require the fence upgrade.

- David
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I think it would take a tactical nuke to kick that workpiece back! Given that Marion, Ohio is far from Ukraine, you should be able to rest easy.

At least for now.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

LOL
I dont know about Ukraine , but I have been Been hit in the gut once that was enough . I was looking at the top of the 510 fence , it has a grove in the top for the mortise hold down , I have been switching back and forth as needed with the original MK V table to use the old hold down , I had not seen the ss feather board , I will look for one as well ,Thanks ,, I am totally surprised after all these years that no one has added a adjustable feather board and a replaceable sacrificial strip to their fence .
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:50 pm I think it would take a tactical nuke to kick that workpiece back! Given that Marion, Ohio is far from Ukraine, you should be able to rest easy.

At least for now.
---------------

LOL The blade will stop before it kicks a board back !!
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:28 pm LOL
I dont know about Ukraine , but I have been Been hit in the gut once that was enough . I was looking at the top of the 510 fence , it has a grove in the top for the mortise hold down , I have been switching back and forth as needed with the original MK V table to use the old hold down , I had not seen the ss feather board , I will look for one as well ,Thanks ,, I am totally surprised after all these years that no one has added a adjustable feather board and a replaceable sacrificial strip to their fence .
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... rboard.htm
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thanks John. not sure but I may have one , I will have to look there may be one of those in a box of stuff that I didnt know what it was for !!
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

While the ad says that fence mounted featherboard is 510 and 520 only, I would think it would work with the upgraded 500 fence as well: https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... pgrade.htm

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hobbyman2,

Previously you said
I was looking at the top of the 510 fence , it has a grove in the top for the mortise hold down , I have been switching back and forth as needed with the original MK V table to use the old hold down , I had not seen the ss feather board , I will look for one as well ,Thanks ,, I am totally surprised after all these years that no one has added a adjustable feather board and a replaceable sacrificial strip to their fence .
So, I am curious, you have been switching between your original 500 table system and the 510/505 table upgrade? Do you have both carriages mounted or do you take apart as needed to switch the table systems? If you are switching back to the 500 table system just to use your Mortise Hold Down have you considered upgrading it to use on your 510 fence's T track? What you need to change the Hold Down is

part number 514487 Hold Down Rod (has the threaded end)
part number 514490 Flat Washer (OEM is a 3/8" ID heavy thick washer with a 115/128" OD)
part number 514491 Miter Slot T Nut

Those will cost less than half the price of buying a new Hold Down. The rod has a threaded end and the washer goes on first followed by the T nut. The T nut and washer clamp onto the fence's T track to hold the Hold Down in place. Any thicker (to avoid bending) heavy duty 3/8" ID washer with an outside diameter larger than the T track slot (around 15/16") should work. A lot easier than changing table systems.

As needed, I add a sacrificial face to my fence to avoid blade contact. I have feather boards that can attach to not only the table but the fence in different ways. The feather boards can easily be added to a sacrificial face.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:40 pm
While the ad says that fence mounted featherboard is 510 and 520 only, I would think it would work with the upgraded 500 fence as well: https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... pgrade.htm

- David
I noticed that too. I agree, it should work fine with the upgraded 500 fence.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT