simple router table

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

simple router table

Post by Hobbyman2 »

20210721_201059.jpg
20210721_201059.jpg (448.52 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: simple router table

Post by edma194 »

Details please?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Sure , it nothing fancy and about as simple and effective as it gets , the base is just a section of a old shelf with a hole cut for the router mount and a fence off of a worn out saw that just screws down to the base , it has slots in the fence to adjust the depth of cut , it also has a dust collector adapter for a shop vac if used . about as simple as it gets . the base is clamped to the SS table , this thing has been about as handy as a set of wind shield wipers on a rainy day . it only took about 20 minutes to make and has been around for a few years now .
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Anything special about that mounting plate? I know there are options for expensive mounting plates and router lifts and the like, but I want to start with the basics on this. And if I mount it right the table should tilt back for access to the router underneath.

I want to make a router table on Shopsmith main table legs to use on my drill press for under table routing and shaping. I have a PowerPro on it now so it would be able to rout from the top or bottom and it could be a pin router from either direction. But I don't plan on much top routing, although maybe if I did more of it then it wouldn't seem so strange to me. This really should be simple. So simple I'm having a hard time over-thinking it.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

The mount is the one that came with the variable speed router, I picked up a universal base so I could use guide bushings , I than counter sank and mounted the new guide bushing base to the top , there is no tilt with this set up , I use the depth stop adjustment knob on the router plate for setting the depth of cut ,this router came with 2 bases the plunge base and solid base . the router has 2 collets , 1/4 and a 1/2 If I make another table it will have threaded bushings and adjusting knobs in the base for the fence . but this has worked out for my needs and it is easy to replace the wood should I need . the main table legs and router mount for your router sounds like a good idea , I needed a router table fast and just tossed this together in a few minutes .it has worked well enough I just havn't made another table , I had originally thought about making a insert mounting a router to a 500 table , if I recall there was a clearance issue with the router, I don't recall however I believe the router bit shaft was too short to do much good , the pin router may have fit . it took longer to figure out it wouldn't work than it did to make this one lol ,

-----------------

I found some pictures of the failed attempt using the pin router and the 500 table , the shafts on the router bits were too short , this is where I was when I made the other table .
Screenshot_20220506-185514_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220506-185514_Gallery.jpg (91.66 KiB) Viewed 1587 times
Screenshot_20220506-185505_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220506-185505_Gallery.jpg (91.33 KiB) Viewed 1587 times
toolcurve
Bronze Member

Post by toolcurve »

I really like this idea, I have been thinking about adding a version like this to my MFT table for quick use and then also using the MFT table's fence or dog holes for the back fencing.
denversawyers
Bronze Member

Post by denversawyers »

This sounds interesting.