Broken wheels

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Re: Broken wheels

Post by SteveMaryland »

I have used those "premium" urethane casters (yes SS calls the wheels "polyolefin" but calls the tires "urethane") for over 10 years on very rough floors, and no problems so far.

But I do know that there can be wide variation in urethane component strength/durability. Urethane formulation and resulting durometer (hardness) can vary a lot. But of equal importance strength-wise is the presence of porosity. Cast urethane components such as these wheels are made from a mix of two (A and B) liquids, both very viscous. It is essential to vacuum de-gas these liquids at least once, right after they are stirred together and poured into the mold. Otherwise, bubbles will be cast into the component and cause eventual failure when the component is stressed.

Examine the broken pieces for bubbles. For those considering these larger urethane wheels, they are much better than the standards but if they have porosity (bubbles), send them back.

The alternate way to remove bubbles in a viscous liquid is to use pressure. This method "crushes" the bubbles down to micro size. Both vac and pressure methods are used to de-gas epoxy and urethane resins. I think vac is better but vac results in resin foaming which requires a more complex process to deal with. I know that some mfgrs try to get away with no processing and the result is component failure.
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

Here’s the latest with SS reply and my reply.
Hello,
You can send the caster in to us for an evaluation and if it does come to be defective then we will replace it! We just don't do store credit and ect if you do purchase a new one. I'd send it in for an eval and once the engineer is done we will give you a call confirming if it's defective or not and if we'll replace it and go from there. If you would like, I can get that returning process started for you. I just need your zip code or customer number.

Thank you
Kaylee

Mine
I’m in the middle of a project and should be finished within a week and will contact you for return info. Don’t want to work with lop sided machine (missing a wheel) and at my age removing one is hard enough but four would be a problem.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I have a guess, and it is only a guess not supported by any evidence.

The wheels are likely prone to earlier failure if your floor is rough and uneven. If you are lucky enough to have nice smooth concrete or some other smooth floor, the wheels aren't likely to fail.

My Shopsmith is 40 years old this year and has had continuous use for those 40 years. I park it in one location and roll it out to my work location many times on each project. My original wheels are still good, and I attribute that to having a smooth floor to roll it on.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

40 yr old wheels are a hard plastic, not polyolefin.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Ah the adventure of the 3" wheels..... Looked up my post about it and it looks like mine are from 2012. Mine have to go over some very ruff driveway and so far they have held up.

For those that might like some history here is that post:

viewtopic.php?t=10221

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

wrmnfzy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:10 pm Don’t remember how long I had them at least 5 years.
Don’t roll it much
On smooth concrete floor
Did not notice before it fell apart
This is reply from SS:

If you would like to send it in we can have an Engineer take a look at it and if he determines a manufacturing defect he will replace it.
We also just sell one individual 3' caster wheel 522877 Single 3" Diameter Premium Caster Wheel (1 Wheel) for $18.95.
This was my reply:
If possible I would like to purchase one wheel to replace broken one and then send the broken one back to an address you give me and if you find a defect could you credit me some type of way for the cost I pay for the new one.
Please reply and let me know how to go about this.
I will let y’all know what happens.
wrmnfzy , Thanks for the info. I’ll probably install my new ones once I get a chance, but I’ll buy a spare to have on hand, just in case.

I got the 3” casters, those 3’ casters you got must really Jack your SS up a bit! :D
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That is why new mounting holes are required for the caster mount.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

Not really, as JPG said new holes and with the two possible elevations you can raise machine to not a problem.
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

Had my 3" wheels at least 5 years before the orange plastic came off two of them similar to the wheels shown in the initial post. I replaced the failed set 3 years ago and haven't had any problems yet. The failed set was used in a Texas garage without A/C or heat and went through a move to and from a climate controlled storage center while my new air conditioned and heated shop was constructed. Hope the failure was due to a bad batch of wheels, but could have been caused by the summer heat or winter cold in the first shop, or rough treatment by the movers. Smooth concrete floor in first shop, but the new shop (where the first set finally failed) has an epoxy flake floor, so also can't rule out an interaction between the new epoxy floor and the wheels.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

Pulled the plug and ordered one new caster, part $19.95 with shipping $29:23, will ship broken one back after I put new one on and see what is determined. Was told would be sent within a couple days, we will see. Any advice on easy way to remove broken wheel?