Broken wheels

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Broken wheels

Post by chapmanruss »

The 3" casters like the original 2" casters pull out of the sleeve of the castor assembly. Lower the casters so the legs are on the ground. Move the Headstock and Carriage to the other end opposite the caster to be removed. Raise and support the end with the broken caster at least 2" and pull the caster down out of the sleeve. They are held in with a brass ring as indicated by the arrow in the picture below. A simple friction fit.

_
premium caster set arrow.jpg
premium caster set arrow.jpg (30.24 KiB) Viewed 914 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

Thanks Russ
That’s what I thought I remembered but due to a few more years and some prior med problems I wanted to check and make it as easy as I could.
Once again, thanks!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Pull the whole caster?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

Possible to just replace the urethane tire?
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

Thanks guys, I’ll let y’all know how I screw up
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:02 pm Pull the whole caster?
Mine have an axle nut, so it appears you can remove the axle and replace just the wheel, not the whole caster. Without a pic of what SS is sending as 522877, seems like it could be a replacement wheel or a replacement caster/wheel assembly.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

For the $$$ I would expect an entire assembly.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:42 am For the $$$ I would expect an entire assembly.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... asters.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

You can find plenty of replacement wheels. Be aware that replacement wheels offering a 'roller bearing' are actually just an axle in a hole in the plastic, barely different from the old hard plastic wheels. If it doesn't specify 'ball bearing' it's probably not.

Here's a not too expensive replacement wheel from Woodcraft.

If you want to break the bank and get a solid nylon wheel that with several times the load capacity of the standard wheels try this one. You'll have to bore out the caster fork to 1/2" for the heavier axle.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:42 am For the $$$ I would expect an entire assembly.
That's what I thought, too. Then I realized that the unit price for the set of 4 was slightly higher. ;) I decided I was not so sure.

- David