Windows 11 Anonymity

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kenbu
Gold Member

Windows 11 Anonymity

Post by kenbu »

There have been a couple of comments about Windows 11 installs requiring a Microsoft account login. Here is a tip for those who would prefer to be more anonymous.

https://www.neowin.net/news/bypass-micr ... -internet/

As the article says, Microsoft may plug this loophole, but for now it seems to work.

Ken
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Windows 11 Anonymity

Post by dusty »

kenbu wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:51 pm There have been a couple of comments about Windows 11 installs requiring a Microsoft account login. Here is a tip for those who would prefer to be more anonymous.

https://www.neowin.net/news/bypass-micr ... -internet/

As the article says, Microsoft may plug this loophole, but for now it seems to work.

Ken
Why would I want to avoid having a Microsoft account if my objective is to download Microsoft?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The obvious question not being asked is why all that information is necessary. I think not. Neither have I encountered the screens mentioned.

The word account has a fiscal tone to it that I find disconcerting.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:54 am The obvious question not being asked is why all that information is necessary. I think not. Neither have I encountered the screens mentioned.

The word account has a fiscal tone to it that I find disconcerting.
You must have encountered those screens (or near facsimiles) if you loaded and activated Microsoft Office.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

OK so I did not and donot anticipate 'enabling' office 365.

That explains it!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

My wife and I each had a registered copy of MS Office 2010 we got through the Government when we were still working. About $5 + or -. It is way outdated now. I went with Open Office. The same functionality and it is free and continuously updated. I just got an update today.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

jsburger wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:37 pm My wife and I each had a registered copy of MS Office 2010 we got through the Government when we were still working. About $5 + or -. It is way outdated now. I went with Open Office. The same functionality and it is free and continuously updated. I just got an update today.
I also use Open Office. On my PC a recurring irritation is that something keeps making MS Word the default viewer for .ODT files. I change it, but it won't stick. I don't have MS Word, so it opens a stripped version and offers to sell me something I don't want. For whatever reason, it leaves spreadsheets alone. They will open in Open Office without trying to sell me MS Excel.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

+1
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I use the spread sheet daily (check book, investments, bills, etc.) and the writer occasionally so no problems here.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jumbnimb
Bronze Member

Post by jumbnimb »

Open Office is a solid choice, especially with its continuous updates and the added bonus of being free. But dealing with those .ODT file issues can be a headache. It's strange how MS Word keeps trying to sneak back in, even when it's not wanted. Maybe it's their way of saying, "Hey, you're missing out on all the fancy features in our premium version!" But if you don't need it, you don't need it! Keep fighting the good fight and sticking to your preferred programs. And if you ever decide to dive into the world of Windows 11, you know where to find a legit key at [spam link removed]