Sleeve sheave part 124 - press on?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Mweaver
Bronze Member

Sleeve sheave part 124 - press on?

Post by Mweaver »

Does the sleeve sheave (spacer, part 124 on the exploded diagram of the headstock) in front of the motor bearing just press off and on? I need to replace that front bearing and the spacer is in the way. Thanks!
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Sleeve sheave part 124 - press on?

Post by beeg »

If your talking about the sheaves behind the spring and in front of the motor. It's held on with a setscrew, accessed through the hole in the bottom of the motor shroud. Check the sleeve that holds the sheave away from the motor.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Sleeve sheave part 124 - press on?

Post by DLB »

Mweaver wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:42 pm Does the sleeve sheave (spacer, part 124 on the exploded diagram of the headstock) in front of the motor bearing just press off and on? I need to replace that front bearing and the spacer is in the way. Thanks!
That part I underlined isn't worded clearly. The spacer itself, 124, is slip fit. It should come right off the shaft after removal of sheaves, spring, retainer, etc. I've had one that was hard to get off, but mostly because it was hard to get hold of. Should be easier with the motor disassembled.

- David