battery powered lawn mower

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: battery powered lawn mower

Post by Hobbyman2 »

My .02 ,, my Troybuilt / sears 4 stroke trimmer / cultivator has lasted 4 years so far and it has a battery start , like it, I have a battery weed eater but still go for the gas . I dont have chargers and batteries hanging off the walls taking up space , neighbor has a electric lawn mower and has had nothing but issues .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I have seen many YouTube’s that say this works and about the same number that say this does not work. My opinion if you have a battery that will not charge try this, if it works great if not you tried. Batteries go bad for many reasons
Incorrect charging, mismanufactured, damage, components on the electronic board going out, bad charger, overheated, frozen. Any of these can be the reason a battery will not take a charge besides it being discharged too much for the charger to work as was the case of the battery in cited YouTube video.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:09 pm My .02 ,, my Troybuilt / sears 4 stroke trimmer / cultivator has lasted 4 years so far and it has a battery start , like it, I have a battery weed eater but still go for the gas . I dont have chargers and batteries hanging off the walls taking up space , neighbor has a electric lawn mower and has had nothing but issues .
No just very hazardous gas cans sitting around. Not a strong argument for not having batteries. Also I am glad you have great luck with your Troybuilt/Sears machine. I never did in fact more than 40 years ago I made a vow to myself never to buy anything from Sears that had a motor or engine. I have lived by that since and been very very happy.
My Son in Law runs his own lawncare business and so far has resisted electric tools but he knows the day is coming when he is going to have to change. I guess most lawn care providers in California must by law transition to electric.
SIL spent over $12,000 in fuel last year and he is just holding his breath to see what it is this year. He is also looking at trucks that have 120 volt outlet in the beds that will power chargers.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:04 pm I cant tell you if these hacks work but I have been told they do , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8mNCDD8zYU
This "hack" does work sometimes for overly discharged or old batteries. However, don't do this for more than a few minutes before putting the battery back on the charger. Leaving it for longer could be disastrous. The more energy dense battery chemistries, e.g. NiMh, Li, are more volatile and dangerous. This is why they added thermistors to these battery types to monitor the temperature while charging. It is possible that a Li battery could go into thermal runaway with such brute force charging as shown in this video. Fire and even explosions are possible when Li batteries go into thermal runaway. Be careful.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The maintenance/longevity of the typical lawn gear cannot be compared to that of a professional.

1) Quality of machines
2) Level and quality of machine maintenance.
3) Work load (duty time).

Proper maintenance (or lack of) and work load will explain most all of the differences in performance.

How many home owners with gasoline powered tools have never changed spark plugs or drained and cleaned fuel tanks. Some have probably never thought about changing or sharpening blades.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

My experience with lawn mowers is that the engine outlasts the deck and handles. My previous lawn mower stated in the manual that oil changes were not necessary at all. Simply check the oil occasionally and top it off if necessary. I'm not a believer of that way of doing things, but they are likely right. My motors are usually still in perfect condition when the deck is rusted through and the handles have broken free from the deck. At that time, it is time for a new mower. My mowers seem to last 10-15 years and seldom require a new spark plug. The air filters need either cleaning or replacement if I mow in dry dusty conditions. The blades have to be sharpened once every few years to work right. I've never drained or cleaned a fuel tank on any of my gas powered tools.

My snowblower just finished its 25th season of moving heavy snow. So far, all the maintenance it needed in 25 years is one spark plug, a new drive belt, and a few sets of auger skids that wear down fast on the concrete.

My current mower is a "lazy man's" mower. My yard is on a hillside so I bought a push mower that is self propelled. It also has an electric starter. The factory battery was too small to do the job well so I replaced it a larger one that has enough capacity to start the engine for a month or two without needing charging. The battery is the cheap lead acid type so it isn't prone to starting fires like the lithium batteries are and not expensive like the lithiums.

For me, gas powered tools have been very low maintenance and cheap to maintain. I suspect that with more time the lithium batteries might be priced more reasonably, and they will become more practical to own.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:56 am
Hobbyman2 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:09 pm My .02 ,, my Troybuilt / sears 4 stroke trimmer / cultivator has lasted 4 years so far and it has a battery start , like it, I have a battery weed eater but still go for the gas . I dont have chargers and batteries hanging off the walls taking up space , neighbor has a electric lawn mower and has had nothing but issues .
No just very hazardous gas cans sitting around. Not a strong argument for not having batteries. Also I am glad you have great luck with your Troybuilt/Sears machine. I never did in fact more than 40 years ago I made a vow to myself never to buy anything from Sears that had a motor or engine. I have lived by that since and been very very happy.
My Son in Law runs his own lawncare business and so far has resisted electric tools but he knows the day is coming when he is going to have to change. I guess most lawn care providers in California must by law transition to electric.
SIL spent over $12,000 in fuel last year and he is just holding his breath to see what it is this year. He is also looking at trucks that have 120 volt outlet in the beds that will power chargers.
--------------
I don't like the gas cans but 1 x 5 gallon can will fill the mower and the weed eater/tiller all year so I cant complain, it stays in the shed with the tools out of the way . I have battery drills , leaf blower and weed eater that all use the same battery , it seems like I need 2 chargers going and 2 batteries charged for each at all times to keep up. to weed eat with the battery job I need 2 batteries on me and one in the charger and when I am done there is 3 batteries that need charged again , with the gas I only refuel 1 time , its just more convenient .
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:47 pm
Ed in Tampa wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:56 am
--------------
I don't like the gas cans but 1 x 5 gallon can will fill the mower and the weed eater/tiller all year so I cant complain, it stays in the shed with the tools out of the way . I have battery drills , leaf blower and weed eater that all use the same battery , it seems like I need 2 chargers going and 2 batteries charged for each at all times to keep up. to weed eat with the battery job I need 2 batteries on me and one in the charger and when I am done there is 3 batteries that need charged again , with the gas I only refuel 1 time , its just more convenient .
First I do not think you should store gas longer than a few months. Two chargers? Wow! I use a weed eater, leaf blower and hedge trimmer with only one charger. I have two batteries I keep charged and when finished with yard work on 1 acre lot I still have battery left. One battery is 40 volt 2.6 amp hour and the other is 40 volt 4 amp hour. My charger will charge a battery in the time it takes me to discharge the other battery, so if needed I could go all day.

Before I used 2 gallons of gas every month for weed eater and blower. Hedge clipper was electric plug in that took a huge amount of time to get cord out and put away after use. I now trim my hedge monthly and it takes about 15 minutes total time.

I am sold on battery outdoor tools! No gas, no oil, no pulling until exhaustion trying to start a tool ruined by ethanol gas. Just pick it up slap in a battery and go. Incidentally my weed eater uses 105 cord which is heavier than many gas models can handle. It will take down small seedling tree not to mention weed stalks and brush.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I hear ya ,, my set up is only 18 volt, my guess is it cost a lot less ,that buys a few years worth of gas ,if I have any left between the mower and the weed eaters I just add it to the 4 wheeler for snow removal , I can see where the 40 volt would make a difference though .