Removing Sand Paper from Disc Sander

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

piccut
Bronze Member

Removing Sand Paper from Disc Sander

Post by piccut »

Just getting back into using my Mark V.....I have some sand paper which has been adhered to my disc sander for the past 5 or 6 years. The paper has become brittle and I can't remove it very easily. Any suggestions on how to remove old sander paper from my Mark V Disc Sander? Thanks......Paul
james.miller
Gold Member

Remove sandpaper

Post by james.miller »

I have been told to either put the disk in the freezer for a couple of hours or gently warm it up in the oven at a low temperature for half hour. The freezer will make the adhesive brittle or using the oven will soften the adhesive up.

Jim in Tucson
jimb
Bronze Member

Post by jimb »

Put it out inthe sun for 30 minutes or so, metal side up or heat it in the oven to 150 degrees or so and the heated glue will come right off.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

The oven method worked well for me. Wear gloves to handle the warm disc. Also, be sure to remove the residual adhesive with mineral spirits or other solvent before putting on new sandpaper.
Spike13
Gold Member

Removing PSA sandpaper from disk

Post by Spike13 »

Hey Piccut and other Forum members!

PSA sandpaper = pressure sensitive adhesive. An easy way is to use the bath tub, put enough HOT water almost up to the set screw in shaft of the disk and leave the disk in the hot water for about 15 minutes. A laundry tub is not sufficient as the water will cool down too quick. Remove the disk from the water and begin pulling the paper off. What residue is left behind can be tacked off with the removed paper, similar to rubber cement attaching to itself. Use mineral spirits to clean any excess off. Better than the oven method as you can handle the disk without gloves.

NOTE: Clean the bath tub so the "significant other" does not know what you have done. :D

Another method is to use a hair dryer and heat the disk. This method is better than the oven method. Handling the disk while it's warm coming from the oven is a little clumsy with the gloves. Don't forget to return the hair dryer to it's original location. ;)

I use both of these methods with success.
Life is a chip at a time, :D
Spike13
piccut
Bronze Member

Post by piccut »

Thanks all.....you gave me several options. I think I'll use the hair dryer method....but thanks to all that replied......Paul
manvelar
Gold Member

Post by manvelar »

In the dead of winter once I found that applying heat from a propane torch to the back side of the sander allowed me to peal off the sticky sandpaper very easily. It really didn't take much heat so I wasn't worried about warping the disc - after that I cleaned it up with some lacquer thinner and went over it with a fine grit sandpaper to smooth it out then stuck on the next sandpaper disc. Still workd like a charm. I'm sure the oven method works well too, but my way was done on the machine with little chance of burning yourself or making my wife mad. :)
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

I often remove the sticky labels from wood by heating them with a hair dryer or paint remover gun and using a putty knife to lift it. I imagine this would work on the disk as well and may be quicker than some of the suggested methods.

John
rcartmetal
Gold Member

Post by rcartmetal »

For those with no shame, Harbor Fright has a 2 speed heat gun on sale now for 10 bucks. It is cheap and cheesy, but it works fine if you don't work it too hard.
Spike from PDX
I like hand tools, too!
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Removing Sand Paper from Disc Sander

Post by dusty »

I have just the opposite problem.

Shopsmith offered a real good sale on sand paper (disks and belts) a long while back. Being frugal as I am, I bought up a bunch which has now turned out to have not been frugal at all. I have a shelf full of adhesive backed sanding disks with adhesive that is no longer sticky.

I am too frugal to discard it so I cut it in pieces and use it for hand sanding.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.