Manual Speed Control Travel

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SgtIchy
Bronze Member

Manual Speed Control Travel

Post by SgtIchy »

I am a newbie on this forum and a new owner of an inherited MKV.

The other day while using the table saw I had the speed set at the low end of saw-joint. As the machine ran I could hear and observe the speed increasing. I resorted to bringing the speed down to the magna-dado speed range so that the speed would maintain. I just had this cleaned and repaired by a friend who has done it many times, but if possible I would like to avoid putting it on his bench again.

Is there an adjustment or something that I can do without screwing things up that will prevent the speed creep?

Thank you
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Manual Speed Control Travel

Post by JPG »

How worn is the motor belt? << 1/2"?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
SgtIchy
Bronze Member

Post by SgtIchy »

I am not sure on that, but my friend who repaired and cleaned it recently, had the blank authorization to replace anything necessary.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

This opens up the question of WHAT prevents the belt tension from causing the force opening the control sheave from also causing the speed control dial from rotating.

I only see the porkchop bevel gear to worm gear resisting that. Or possibly the leaf spring under the control knob. A loose knob perhaps? Or a missing spring?. . . . .

The worm gear contact is essentially a line contact which would not impart a rotational thrust, however if the porkchop is skewed(a common wear condition) it might occur.

? ? ?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

SgtIchy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:03 am I am a newbie on this forum and a new owner of an inherited MKV.

The other day while using the table saw I had the speed set at the low end of saw-joint. As the machine ran I could hear and observe the speed increasing. I resorted to bringing the speed down to the magna-dado speed range so that the speed would maintain. I just had this cleaned and repaired by a friend who has done it many times, but if possible I would like to avoid putting it on his bench again.

Is there an adjustment or something that I can do without screwing things up that will prevent the speed creep?

Thank you
Does this mean that if the run speed was lowered then the speed did not creep up???

When the speed is creeping upward does the speed dial change position???

If you do not intervene will the upward creep continue or does it eventually cease to creep???
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Right, not clear if the speed dial is changing position. If it is not then I think JPG has the right idea in looking at the lower belt. If the speed dial is moving an issue with the quadrant should be observable from the back nameplate opening, with a disk sander mounted instead of a saw blade for safety reason and practicality.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
SgtIchy
Bronze Member

Post by SgtIchy »

dusty wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:16 am
SgtIchy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:03 am I am a newbie on this forum and a new owner of an inherited MKV.

Thank you
Does this mean that if the run speed was lowered then the speed did not creep up???

When the speed is creeping upward does the speed dial change position???

If you do not intervene will the upward creep continue or does it eventually cease to creep???

When I set the speed at "P" I was able to observe the control dial move and hear the RPMs increase. I dialed it back when it achieved "S". I am not sure if it would have continued beyond that. When I backed it off to the magna-dado speed, it remained where I set it.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

My Shopsmith did a similar thing a couple of months ago. The speed was creeping up as it ran, but I could also hear a clicking sound inside it. I shut if off, pulled the plug from the wall, and removed the side cover. Then, when turning it slowly by hand, I could hear the clicks and see uneven movement in the control sheave. The small bearing in the end of the control sheave was bad. I replaced the bearing and it is quiet now and no longer seems to creep. Yours could be an entirely different problem, but some visual inspection might show you the problem. The bearing I replaced is in the end of part 110 on the diagram.
shopsmith1.jpg
shopsmith1.jpg (69.63 KiB) Viewed 949 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think you might be on to something there.

If the end of the control sheave is missing or has a damaged bearing and 'button' the porkchop might be experiencing pressure greater than 'normal'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

SgtIchy
Bronze Member

Post by SgtIchy »

Thank you for all of the replies! I checked this again and was able to verify that when I run it having set the speed control at "M" (in the center of the Magna-Dado range) over the span of a minute or so, the speed creeps all the way to the "W". When the speed is set below the "M" the speed holds steady. As the RPMs increase you can watch the dial move.