Never realized I needed a bandsaw...

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Never realized I needed a bandsaw...

Post by HopefulSSer »

...til I got one. I just finished replacing some rotten siding on the house. The bs was incredibly useful for making odd-shaped moldings, making tapered shims to compensate for stuff out of square, making jigs to help hold the siding while I was nailing, etc. Three cheers for the SS bandsaw!
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
bainin
Platinum Member

Re: Never realized I needed a bandsaw...

Post by bainin »

Yea its the SPT that stays in place more than the others for me.

b
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Me too! The SS bandsaw has been a wonderful thing to have. I still remember taking the new Owners Manual along with me and digesting it in the hours before I could get back to the machine.

Chris
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Everybody needs a bandsaw. It's incredibly versatile.

I don't remember how or when I realized I needed a bandsaw, but somehow I knew it had to be part of my shop even when the only power tools I had were a drill and a 5-1/4" circular saw for B&D. I got one of those mini-versions, Rockwell maybe, was good enough for working on plastic material, only good on very thin wood. I knew I'd have more one day.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

My first Bandsaw was a bench top unit. I was always having to adjust the tracking. What a pain. :mad: Once I had it I would use my SS Jigsaw if I could before using that bench top Bandsaw. That bench top Bandsaw was more of a dust collector and I do not mean sawdust.

Having the Shopsmith Bandsaw gives me a larger cutting capacity and a lot less fussing to use it. Having disassembled, restored and reassembled 5 Shopsmith Bandsaws I believe I know them pretty well. Once aligned they stay that way and no worries for the tracking. :)

Once I got my first Shopsmith Bandsaw that bench top Bandsaw had to go. :D
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Only thing better than a band saw is having a assortment of different size blades !!
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

A band saw was one of the early additions to my tool collection (early 1970's). Since I didn't own a shopsmith at the time I went with another brand. In fact I did not add a shopsmith bandsaw until I set up a second shop in the UP of MI. I got a shopsmith to use there and the thing I really missed was having a bandsaw to use. So it made sense to go that path. It was the only SPT I had up there, the rest I could do without.

When that chapter ended I brought both back home, the shopsmith is in storage as I have several but the bandsaw made it in to my shop and resides with my powerpro main machine. I still have the other bandsaw and find that useful but takes up more space then I should allocate to such things.

While I have a collection of blades I find that I mostly have a woodslicer 1/2" blade one one saw and a 3/8" gp blade on the other for 98% of everything I do.

For me I love being able to mount the bandsaw on the "wrong" end and reverse the powerpro. It is rare I mount it anywhere else.

Yes I do wish I had larger saw for resawing but I don't have the room and besides I'm probably past the time in my life where I will be doing much of that sort of work anymore.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]