Shorty

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RRSTV
Bronze Member

Shorty

Post by RRSTV »

I want to put a headstock, bandsaw, beltsander on a shorty. No carriage, table etc. Just enough room to move the headstock and coupler from one machine to other. Anybody got the length for the bench and way tubes for that setup?
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Shorty

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I have seen a few power stations on ebay and craigslist lately ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
RRSTV
Bronze Member

Post by RRSTV »

I have my bandsaw on a power station. Plan to sale that. Moving to a smaller space. Giving up several things. I have a Sawsmith 2000 ultra with a large outfeed table, outbound router table etc. Going to sell that setup and go back to my 520 as my primary tablesaw. Jointer will sit on that setup full time. 2nd SS has been a full time drill press for many years. Bandsaw and sander paired with a 3rd headstock I have and I should be good to go. I love the Sawsmith 2000 but I love my panel saw more. I bought the 520 new the year that fence system came out (22 years ago?) 220Volt workhorse. It will stay in tablesaw mode full-time. The jointer will stay on the tablesaw stand full-time as well. Panel saw,drum sander,router table and pocket hole machine are going with me too. Something had to go.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I don't know the bench and way tube lengths needed for this setup but it should be easy to determine. With the Bandsaw mounted on the left side of the headstock and the belt sander on the right side facing the front connect one side of the headstock to the SPT with a coupler and measure the distance to the other SPT's drive shaft. This minus a couple inches for moving the headstock for coupling/uncoupling would be the amount to cut off the Bench and Way Tubes. If desired as a function for this shorty check if an extension table will still fit on the right side with the 12" Sanding Disk in place. The wider 500 extension table would be more desirable than the original 4" wide one for this or use the 520 extension table. You can still use the Mark V 520 for Disk sanding which would have more support features than this shorty.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

RRSTV wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:57 pm I want to put a headstock, bandsaw, beltsander on a shorty. No carriage, table etc. Just enough room to move the headstock and coupler from one machine to other. Anybody got the length for the bench and way tubes for that setup?
Are you planning for bandsaw on one end and belt sander on the other? Or switching back and forth between SPTs? Minimum length is different between the two. My 'mini' is half length way tubes and is not long enough for two SPTs without modifying something.

- David
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

When I built my version I took out 16" or 1/3 of the length. This provides a functional shopsmith abet shorter version. Almost anything the full size one can do can be done on it. Yes the lathe is short, drill press is shorter etc.

Yes is is not as compact as could be but does save some space. I believe the added functionality those few inches provide can be well worth it, well at least for me. I also think it would have a greater resale potential if it ever came to that and if one of my other machines has a headstock fail the shorty can be used as is rather then having to swapped out a headstock.

If those couple of inches are really critical of course you have to do what you have to do.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I took 18" off of mine and it still has the table carriage. I would guess for what you want to do 24" might be about right. An inch one way or the other would not make a big difference unless it is too short.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Right now I'm putting together a shorty that will act as a Power Station. I cut a bench tube in half at 26-3/8", the way tube into two 25-5/8" pieces and a little leftover. Once I have it put together with a headstock and carriage I'll figure out how short to make it. I just cut these pieces to test out my cutoff saw after some repairs. I have a sanding shorty that I cut 1 foot off to start and now that the cutoff saw is working I can cut down at least 10 more inches. I'd suggest always starting a shorty based on the length of a bench tube cut in half and then reducing from there if necessary.

It's easy to fix too long. Too short is a lot tougher.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Cut bench tubes (52 3/4) into a 26 and a 26 3/4. Then adjust from there if necessary.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Shopsmith makes what they call the Shop Deputy kit which is two 26" long Way Tubes plus hardware which can be seen at the link below and is shown in the pictures below.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... deputy.htm

As I understand it from your original post, you want to have both the Bandsaw and the Belt Sander mounted at the same time. 26" Way Tubes look to be too short for that purpose. You need to allow for the Belt Sander to overhang the Way Tubes when mounting it on the right side of the Headstock. The Bandsaw can only be run correctly from the left side of a conventional Headstock. The Belt Sander can be run correctly from either side of the Headstock having the drive shaft on both sides of the drive drum. Remember Bench Tubes are 3/4" longer than Way Tubes.

_
SS picture
SS picture
shop_deputy_on_workbench.jpg (14.66 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
SS picture
SS picture
shop_deputy_belt_disc_drum.jpg (18.05 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.