New SS Power Stands

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: New SS Power Stands

Post by jsburger »

I just checked my late 90's Band Saw power stand and my late 90's Pro Planer stand and they are identical. The top decks are the same size (18" X 13") and the holes on both are the same. The planer mounts with two bolts, one on each side.
20220612_122556.jpg
20220612_122556.jpg (51.74 KiB) Viewed 610 times
The band saw stand has the two holes to mount a MK mount planer. I assume the MK mount planer has the same mounting points for the stand as the Pro Planer since SS used to sell a stand kit for it.
20220612_123143.jpg
20220612_123143.jpg (62.58 KiB) Viewed 610 times
If you look at the lead in picture at the top of SS web page you can clearly see the same hole as the one in my Band Saw stand. There is one hole on each side of the stand.

So to JPG's question the "new" stands seem to be identical to the previous ones and a MK mount planer will mount, no drilling of holes required.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:47 pm Except for my Pro Planer stand I have not owned a Power Stand. Ones I have seen have the power switch box like the Pro Planer without the feed speed control so for me it is interesting that the switch for the new Power Stands was used before. John, thank you for pointing that out. I love learning new things about the Shopsmith Tools. Below are two examples of Power Stands I have seen.

_
SPT Power Stand lower motor.jpg
SPT Power Stand higher motor.jpg
I have never seen the stand in the upper picture. It doesn't have the planer mounting holes. However it does appear to have the motor mounting slots like the second picture. You can see the ends of them on the left side of the SPT mount casting. Since it doesn't have the planer mounting holes I guess it predates the planer SPT.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I presume then that the slots are for the motor mounting bolts and the 1 3/4HP motor will fit.

Thank You john.

I was intending to make one from wood. Now my conversion will be complete(SS mount to PRO(almost).

I assume casters will fit.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:48 pm I presume then that the slots are for the motor mounting bolts and the 1 3/4HP motor will fit.

Thank You john.

I was intending to make one from wood. Now my conversion will be complete(SS mount to PRO(almost).

I assume casters will fit.
Yes, the slots are for the motor mounting bolts. They are about 6" long. Plenty of movement to move the motor back and forth to align the pulleys vertically. I think (I would have to look) the SS power stand motors are 56 frame so any motor with that frame will match up with the slots. The motor mounts on the bolts like the fixed extension table mounts. That allows belt tension to be adjusted.

The legs are drilled for castors. I have castors on both my Pro Planer and Band Saw stand.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Pulleys 3" and 5"???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,

That is correct. A 3" pulley on the Planer and a 5" pulley for the motor as shown in the parts list for the Pro Planer stand ref # 112 and 111.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:38 pm Pulleys 3" and 5"???
The pulleys on my Pro Planer are 3" and 5". Presumably the MK mount planer would be the same. Interestingly though, the instruction sheet for the Major Accessory Power Stand (513963) does not list the MK mount planer. There is a belt and pulley chart that includes the Jointer, Band Saw, Belt Sander and Strip Sander. No Scroll Saw or MK mount planer although SS did sell stand kits for them. Also the Mounting Base (505655) instruction sheet has a belt and pulley chart. It includes the 20" scroll saw but no MK mount planer.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT