New SS Power Stands

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

New SS Power Stands

Post by jsburger »

I just got an email from SS introducing the new power stands. They are back, now with a 3/4HP motor.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/specials/7DV855

Not sure if the stand alone comes with a motor. At the price probably not. :( Hopefully if you have the SPT and only need the stand the motor will be available .
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: New SS Power Stands

Post by edma194 »

Even without the motor you need to have the motor mounting parts to go with it. I've found used 3/4HP pretty common. It doesn't need a headstock motor although I assume you could use one if you wanted.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:23 pm Even without the motor you need to have the motor mounting parts to go with it. I've found used 3/4HP pretty common. It doesn't need a headstock motor although I assume you could use one if you wanted.
True, but the motor mount is very simple as I remember. I have a Pro Planer and a band saw on power stands. As I remember ( it's been al long time :) ) the motor mount is nothing more than threaded rods and nuts and washers. You will also need an SPT storage bracket, pulleys and a belt.

I haven't compared the prices, but the stand plus the STP seems pretty reasonable. That includes the motor and all the mounting hardware, pulleys, belts, etc..
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

jsburger wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:05 pm As I remember ( it's been al long time :) ) the motor mount is nothing more than threaded rods and nuts and washers. You will also need an SPT storage bracket, pulleys and a belt.
I have to go look myself but the motor does hang from bolts. I keep thinking there's some other plate but looking at the Power Station docs I see it's just hanging from bolts through the top and the motor. Can't see why the Power Stand would be different.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John,

In the email I received there are two prices for the Power Stand. One at the bottom of the page is for the power Stand bare frame at $161.46 a 15% savings from their list price. The main part of the ad is for the Power Station at $50 dollars off for $547.95 and 5 different versions, one for each of the current SPT's. Each version should include the correct belt and pulley sizes for that SPT. Besides the 3/4 HP motor now being standard I noticed the switch is now mounted in a leg and appears to be the same red safety key switch used in the Mark Headstocks.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:55 pm John,

In the email I received there are two prices for the Power Stand. One at the bottom of the page is for the power Stand bare frame at $161.46 a 15% savings from their list price. The main part of the ad is for the Power Station at $50 dollars off for $547.95 and 5 different versions, one for each of the current SPT's. Each version should include the correct belt and pulley sizes for that SPT. Besides the 3/4 HP motor now being standard I noticed the switch is now mounted in a leg and appears to be the same red safety key switch used in the Mark Headstocks.
You did mean Power Stand, right?

Yes that is the same email I got. My bad. I first thought they were selling the stand with the SPT together. Obviously the price is for the stand only with the motor and correct pulleys/belt for the different SPT's. Just like before.

FWIW, I bought a stand for my Band Saw in the late 90's when they had a version for each SPT with the correct pulleys and belt in a kit. That stand has the red safety switch in the leg. So it looks like they just brought back what was previously available but with the larger motor. The previous stands all had 1/2HP motors except for the MK mount planer stand. It had a 1 1/2HP motor. The Pro Planer used the same stand but was black and had a 1 3/4HP motor.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

SO, does that mean they can be used for mounting a planer?

All the motorparts/etc. needs to be added.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

JPG wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:41 pm SO, does that mean they can be used for mounting a planer?

Mounting bolt holes need to be drilled???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:41 pm SO, does that mean they can be used for mounting a planer?

Not sure. I will go out later and look at mine. My guess is the stand for the planer has a slightly larger deck but, I will check.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Except for my Pro Planer stand I have not owned a Power Stand. Ones I have seen have the power switch box like the Pro Planer without the feed speed control so for me it is interesting that the switch for the new Power Stands was used before. John, thank you for pointing that out. I love learning new things about the Shopsmith Tools. Below are two examples of Power Stands I have seen.

_
SPT Power Stand lower motor.jpg
SPT Power Stand lower motor.jpg (125.13 KiB) Viewed 623 times
SPT Power Stand higher motor.jpg
SPT Power Stand higher motor.jpg (228.23 KiB) Viewed 623 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.