grinding tool rest

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Big John
Bronze Member

grinding tool rest

Post by Big John »

Hello. I recently bought Tod Herrli's video, "Classic Plane Making" and he was using a Shopsmith. I saw him using a tool rest for grinding chisels. It looks like the Veritas rest but it is a Shopsmith attachment. Anyone seen the video and know the rest I am talking about? Know where I can get one? It isn't in the catalog or the web site. Thanks in advance. John.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Haven't seen his video, but do have a SS grinder attachment. Am planning to make (or buy) a tool rest attachment to add on. Have been messing around with screw-on pieces of quarter inch plexiglass. There has got to be something better. Thanks! I'll look through Veritas catalogs.

Looked at Tod Herrli's web site - noticed what looks like a SS bandsaw on the floor.

Charlese
smredleg
Gold Member

Grinding tool rest

Post by smredleg »

By now I guess you'd found that Woodcraft carries the Veritas grinding jig. I bought mine late last year but my garage is unheated so I'll have to wait for spring (around here that June or July at the latest). My question is how to mount the jig to SS grinders tool rest. Any suggestions?
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Looked at the Veritas, Grinder tool rest. Looks as if it may offer a solution to get a firm, straight and adjustable tool rest for the SS grinding wheel guard's tool rest. What I have tried so far, is to screw a piece of quarter inch plexiglass onto the SS tool rest. If the Veritas tool rest can be drilled & tapped on the bottom and screwed onto the SS tool rest it seemingly would work pretty well.

Where did you get the idea to get the Veritas rest? Did Todd Herrli have one on his unit? Since you can also get straight grinding and skew grinding jigs for the Veritas rest, that makes it an attractive unit - if it fits.

I have been thinking that I could fabricate a piece of metal to attach above my SS tool rest, but am just thinking. The problem I am facing is both of my SS tool rests (that came with the SS wheel guard) have a dished top. One simple solution would be to straighten the dish in the SS tool rest. This, however would cause the sides of the tool rest to not fit very well to the sides of the guard. So I elected to go with the attachment mode.

Sorry about your Winter weather, smredleg!! That's one reason I moved South from Montana, which has about a month and a half of summer.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Later this afternoon, while waiting for glue to dry, decided to break out my balll pien hammer and take it to one of the two SS tool rests. Figured if it went wrong, I still would have the option of screwing something to the top of it and the other rest would be as received. Anyway a replacement part can't be too expensive.

Only a few raps with my 14 oz. hammer into the bottom of the tool rest almost had it straightened. Then rubbed the top surface across a coarse oil stone. It came out flat, polished and straight. However, as guessed, the flatening of the surface caused the wings to come together some. Had to use a couple of large pliers to spread the wings in order to fit the re-shaped rest back onto the guard. Even then had to pry a bit to get it to fit. All's well that ends well! It is now a pretty good tool rest and is fully adjustable. Still may have to add a top to it to make a good base for sharpening plane blades.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
smredleg
Gold Member

Using my Veritas grinding tool jig

Post by smredleg »

Sorry, for the delay.... I was too busy riding my John Deere and blowing snow. (4 hrs on the tractor this week)
I learned about the jig from one of the trainers, while attending a pen turning class, Woodcraft.
While I use the SS sharpening guide, for my lathe tools, I needed something that worked well for my plane irons and bench chisels.
When I purchased my SS used it came with a whole lot of things, most never opened, including a discontinued knife sharpening accessory (#555301).
For the Veritas I need a wider rest area. I'm thinking about counter-boring the knife rest and screwing it directly to the SS tool rest as it is aleady tapped, and hopefully that will provide my stability. I can then hand hold the jig and slide it along the extended knife rest. We'll see.
I'll try and attach a jpeg of what I'm talking about.
Attachments
SS_Knife_Sharpening_Acc..jpg
SS_Knife_Sharpening_Acc..jpg (143.46 KiB) Viewed 19138 times
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Yep! That's just like what I was doing using 1/4" poly for a platform like number 1 in your illustration. I Screwed from the top like your picture showed. Would be better if I could screw from below the SS tool rest. Need metal for that, although might try some Oak, as the Veritas tool rest is $55 and has extra pieces I'd just waste.

Thanks for your return post w/pix

Best wishes and hope you get the snow blower off your John Deer soon. Folks here are mowing their lawns. I don't have to as my lawn is rocks. At least they are green rocks.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA