Drill height from table top

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rambo2981
Silver Member

Drill height from table top

Post by rambo2981 »

It looks like the maximum height for drilling off the table for my 510 is 2-5/16”. I had a case where I needed a more than that, and I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on a creative way to increase that. It looks like the table bottoms out right at 2-5/16” centered on the drill chuck.
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Drill height from table top

Post by edma194 »

Sorry, but I don't understand what you are describing. Where is there only 2-5/16" of space? Is this with a bit in the chuck?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Are you doing horizontal drilling?

If so think do I have to have the main table to work on? If not then a platform on the tubes or carriage will give you a lot more height.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rambo2981
Silver Member

Post by rambo2981 »

Yes, I should have mentioned that I'm doing horizontal drilling. I may make a plywood platform and remove the table. Thanks, Ed.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I have turned my table to vertical position and used the fence as a horizontal surface. For a heavy piece you can align it then clamp it to the vertical table.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

How much height do you need? I just tried removing my main table and using the Aux table instead. As things are now, my factory Aux table offers about 3” of drilling height. But If I lowered it on the threaded studs, I could get a little over 3-1/4”.
rambo2981
Silver Member

Post by rambo2981 »

I needed approx. 3-1/4". Thanks for the suggestion.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

This may not help , if I understand your dilemma correctly , not knowing how thick the piece is that you are wanting to drill ,, is there any way to stand the SS up into the drill press , run the table in as far as it can go or flip the piece you want to drill and drill it from the other side ? you may need to clamp the piece to the table without the fence ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)