Shop Deputy Length

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

seajay62
Gold Member

Shop Deputy Length

Post by seajay62 »

I am ready to put together my sanding station shop deputy. Occasionally I may replace the belt sander with my band saw. I'll be cutting down 34 inch tubes. Since I am not cutting a tube in half, do I cut them to the 26 inch or should I go a little bit longer? Would having a bit more room make set-up easier?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Shop Deputy Length

Post by JPG »

I do not know where you sourced 34" tubes, but how about trying them at that length first?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
seajay62
Gold Member

Post by seajay62 »

Thanks for the input. The 34" tubes are the cut offs from a shorty that I had. I'm tight on space in my shop. (So, who isn't?) I converted the shorty to a dedicated drill press by cutting 9 1/2" off the tubes and using full length way tubes that I had. I'd rather not go to the 34" length but try to get closer to the 26" but was wondering if 26 1/2" or 27" would make set-up easier.
RCZ
Gold Member

Post by RCZ »

Seajay,

I would do what JPG suggests and set it up first with the 34" tubes and use the tools for a while so you can determine how much more shortening can be done. I am doing just that right now and trying to decide how much needs to stay before I cut the tubes.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Below are pictures of the Shop Deputy from the Shopsmith online catalog to give you an idea of how it looks with the 26" Shop Deputy Way Tubes.

_
shop_deputy_on_sawhorse.jpg
shop_deputy_on_sawhorse.jpg (18.37 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
shop_deputy_on_workbench.jpg
shop_deputy_on_workbench.jpg (14.66 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
You may also be interested in the following thread if you haven't seen it already.

viewtopic.php?t=29285
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

RCZ wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:21 pm Seajay,

I would do what JPG suggests and set it up first with the 34" tubes and use the tools for a while so you can determine how much more shortening can be done. I am doing just that right now and trying to decide how much needs to stay before I cut the tubes.
This. Start long, work your way down. Too long can be fixed. Too short not so much.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER