Motor hums but doesn't turn

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

frozen
Bronze Member

Motor hums but doesn't turn

Post by frozen »

When I turn the switch on the motor hums but does not turn. I am guessing maybe it is the starter capacitor (from another post)

If not what? and if if it is the capacitor how do I fix it?

Thanks!
Al
Cheers,
Al
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Motor hums but doesn't turn

Post by jsburger »

Start capacitors rarely go bad. It is more likely the contacts of the start switch are dirty and not making contact. Try blowing the sawdust out of the motor and see if that fixes it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

When you turn it on/off you should hear a distinct click. This is the start relay when it is energized.

Be aware that you can do serious damage to the motor if it hums too often or for too long.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
frozen
Bronze Member

Post by frozen »

Thanks jsburger and dusty, I removed the motor and reversed the vacuum into it thoroughly and it did the job.

Much appreciated!
Cheers,
Al
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Mark V do not have a start relay, only a mechanical centrifugally operated switch.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
frozen
Bronze Member

Post by frozen »

I spoke a bit soon.... I used it for a while and then it did it again. I am wondering if it would be advisable to put some sort of air filter around the vent holes on it to keep the dust out? Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Al
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

frozen wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:44 pm I spoke a bit soon.... I used it for a while and then it did it again. I am wondering if it would be advisable to put some sort of air filter around the vent holes on it to keep the dust out? Any thoughts?
No. The centrifugal switch contacts are probably dirty and need more cleaning than just blowing the dust out.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

A lot of folks replace the capacitor and it wasnt the issue , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYHuJuMPy_A , they ,,can,, go bad but testing them first is a good idea , it can save time putting the thing back together just to take it apart again .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
frozen
Bronze Member

Post by frozen »

Thanks JPG and jsburger,
Is it difficult to disassemble it to clean the contacts? Is there a 'how to' on it?

If not do I simply replace the switch?

Thanks!
Cheers,
Al
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Assuming it is an emerson motor, the contacts are somewhat obscured. Replacement parts source is all but non-existant.

Bill Mayo (RIP) recommended soft blows with a soft face hammer to try to dislodge any crud. Tap at different locations and try to start.(not too often in too short a time span)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange