Motor hums but doesn't turn

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

br549
Platinum Member

Re: Motor hums but doesn't turn

Post by br549 »

Here is a link to one of several threads on this topic ... this one is about a GE 1-1/8 hp motor. In my case, I had to clean the contacts and do a little re-forming (bending) after accidentally dropping part of the disassembled motor.

viewtopic.php?t=17624&start=10

For limiting the amount of dust that gets sucked into the motor in the first place, I try to use my dust collector whenever possible to catch as much dust as possible before it can find its way into the motor.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Check out Jacob Anderson's videos. There are repair videos for each the different mfg motors, and troubleshooting.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jacobvb10/videos
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I had one of my headstock motors do that a couple of years ago. I removed the motor from the headstock, tore the motor apart and cleaned up the centrifugal switch contacts. It worked. It hasn't caused any problems since that time.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

garys wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:24 pm I had one of my headstock motors do that a couple of years ago. I removed the motor from the headstock, tore the motor apart and cleaned up the centrifugal switch contacts. It worked. It hasn't caused any problems since that time.
Which brand motor?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

JPG wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:29 pm Which brand motor?
I actually don't know the brand ot the motor. I simply took it apart, cleaned the contacts and put it back together. I wasn't interested in the tag on the motor.
It is a 1982 Shopsmith if that helps identify the motor.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Did the contacts have a "lillies of the valley" shaped cup over them?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange