Shopsmith DVDs

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

paul heller wrote:I purchased Essentials Vol 1&2 and the Rick Davis DVD. Even though Nick said there was not much to be learned for experienced users, I actually enjoyed watching his videos and did learn a couple of things. Plus, I wanted to maintenance procedures.

Rick Davis' video was a real pleasant surprise! In it, he hints at more to come. Does anyone know if there will be more from Rick Davis?

Paul
I think he just recently released a DVD on Bandsaw maintenance and rebuild. Have to check eBay to be sure.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

tdubnik wrote:I think he just recently released a DVD on Bandsaw maintenance and rebuild. Have to check eBay to be sure.

Are we mixing up Jacob Anderson and Rick Davis.

Jacob has just released a Bandsaw Maintenance DVD and markets it on eBay.

If Rick had released anything new, I think we would have read about it here on the web site. Rick was planning a DVD on Cabinet Building before the Shopsmith changes were incorporated.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Len
Gold Member

Post by Len »

dusty wrote: If Rick had released anything new, I think we would have read about it here on the web site. Rick was planning a DVD on Cabinet Building before the Shopsmith changes were incorporated.
I just ASSUMED Rick was no longer connected to Shopsmith. For one thing, the guy never stops and is a constant "goer" but when I took a class from him, Fall of 07, he had just finished this DVD and was planning to start another to show not just the SS but cabinet making.
Quite a project to put onto film when you think about it, so I can only guess there was a parting of the ways since......to bad, good man.
Anniversary Model 505 to 520 Up grade, with Band saw, Jointer, Strip & Belt Sander, and a catalog of wishes.
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

I bought Jacob Anderson's Bandsaw maintenance DVD but could never get it to play. He blames it on my DVD play and my computer (I tried it on both), even though my DVD player is only one month old. And... it is only his DVD that cannot play. Everything things else I buy plays nicely.

He offered to exchange it for me for VHS tapes, but I no longer have a VHS player. He did not offer to swap the DVD to try another one to see if it was simply a bad DVD. So, the whole thing was a complete waste of money.

Well, he has lots of warnings on his eBay site. Anyone who goes this route should heed those warnings and plan that they will need to later on swap for VHS tapes. That way they can only be surprised when the DVD works rather than disappointed if it does not. It is definitely a buyer beware situation.

Paul
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

paul heller wrote:I bought Jacob Anderson's Bandsaw maintenance DVD but could never get it to play. He blames it on my DVD play and my computer (I tried it on both), even though my DVD player is only one month old. And... it is only his DVD that cannot play. Everything things else I buy plays nicely.

He offered to exchange it for me for VHS tapes, but I no longer have a VHS player. He did not offer to swap the DVD to try another one to see if it was simply a bad DVD. So, the whole thing was a complete waste of money.

Well, he has lots of warnings on his eBay site. Anyone who goes this route should heed those warnings and plan that they will need to later on swap for VHS tapes. That way they can only be surprised when the DVD works rather than disappointed if it does not. It is definitely a buyer beware situation.

Paul

To add credibility to your analysis, I would suggest that you try your DVD on another player that is known to be good.

I would gladly run a test if you want to send me the DVD (which of course I would return after completing the test).

Do you have any of the Shopsmith DVDs that you know play.

As a side comment: I have three DVD players in my house. Two work with all of the DVDs that have been tried in them. The third one, which happens to be where I would typically go to watch a DVD, is very intermittent when used in my area. If I take it to my wife's craft area, to play on her DVD, it works fine.

I suggested a swap but she wasn't hearing that at all. I have noticed that she has marked the DVD players so she knows which is which.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I have the essentials 1 & 2 and they play just fine on my XP Dell computer. I have an older XP that I plan to up-grade and take to the U.P. with me this Spring. I will place it in my shop and run the DVD's there.

I seldom purchase anything on ebay anymore after a few bad experiences. There is little recourse and "feedback" is a joke. Also, most sellers now use paypal exclusively, and I am not about to let them reach into my bank account.
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

dusty wrote:Are we mixing up Jacob Anderson and Rick Davis.

Jacob has just released a Bandsaw Maintenance DVD and markets it on eBay.

If Rick had released anything new, I think we would have read about it here on the web site. Rick was planning a DVD on Cabinet Building before the Shopsmith changes were incorporated.
You're right. Jacob Anderson released the bandsaw DVD.
bigted
Gold Member

Shopsmith DVD's

Post by bigted »

I recently purchased Jacob Anderson's Bandsaw maintenance DVD. It would not play on my DVD player nor on my computer. My Sony BlueRay DVD player is a relatively new format, so I called Jacob and he told me that these DVD's are being produced with a relatively new technology but not from a "professional" company, saying that the expense to do so is prohibitive for the number that he sells. He told me that Sony is one of the machines that have had problems showing his DVD's. He did offer to replace with the VHS format or return the DVD's and he would cancel the sale.
I also purchased Nick's two Shopsmith Alignment and Maintenance and agree that the information, detail etc. is very good but video quality is not great. Guess I need to go back and check it out again and/or try it on a different machine.
Thanks,

Ted
billmayo
Platinum Member

Shopsmith DVDs

Post by billmayo »

I have a 7 yr old Dell computer that I added a DVD recorder/player 1 yr ago. I am able to watch all of Jacob Anderson's DVDs with no problems. I have a 5 yr and 1yr old seperate DVD players for 2 TVs which also plays his DVDs with no problem. All my DVD players plays Rick Davis's DVDs too.

I will take one of the DVDs with me when I buy my next DVD recorder/player.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If you want to test the DVD take it to a store that sells DVD players and has them on display. Tell the sales person you want to see how this looks on one of the players... if it doesn't work then try another player... if it does play on one of them then the DVD is good... if not you have a good case for asking for another DVD.

If it is not copy protected maybe one of your friends would be willing to make a copy for you... or get the VHS tape and find someone with the capacity to copy VHS to DVD. The hardware and software to do this sort of things if very common.

Anyway a few other thoughts for you.

Ed
paul heller wrote:I bought Jacob Anderson's Bandsaw maintenance DVD but could never get it to play. He blames it on my DVD play and my computer (I tried it on both), even though my DVD player is only one month old. And... it is only his DVD that cannot play. Everything things else I buy plays nicely.

Paul
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]