Shopsmith DVDs

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

GEE, the man tried it on a computer AND a DVD player. How many more players to try it on before it's called BAD?:confused:
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Concerning the Shopsmith DVDs, I haven't had a problem with them. The picture quality was excellent. I am wondering if maybe the dvds were defective to begin with. I have tried them on dvd players, two laptops, two desktops. I hope that we will see more of this series in the future. I think the Nick Engler dvds are well worth the cash outlay.

BPR
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Because we don't have all the information... if the player is a sony and the computer drive is a sony then maybe sony players don't like this version of DVD. A little extra proof might get you a new DVD or maybe your money back but it would be nice to know which one to ask for.

Ed

beeg wrote:GEE, the man tried it on a computer AND a DVD player. How many more platers to try it on before it's called BAD?:confused:
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

beeg wrote:GEE, the man tried it on a computer AND a DVD player. How many more platers to try it on before it's called BAD?:confused:

As many as it takes to either convinced Jacob Anderson to react or have Paul write this off as a learning experience.

If I had received a DVD for you (that I paid for) and it would not work, you'd be hearing from me for a long, long time. It would be in your best interest to refund my money.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

Thanks, all. I appreciate the thoughts and suggestions.

I would prefer to just write this off as a learning experience, as Dusty suggests.

To be clear: The Shopsmith DVDs work GREAT. I highly recommend those.

Paul
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

paul heller wrote:I purchased Essentials Vol 1&2 and the Rick Davis DVD. Even though Nick said there was not much to be learned for experienced users, I actually enjoyed watching his videos and did learn a couple of things. Plus, I wanted to maintenance procedures.

Rick Davis' video was a real pleasant surprise! In it, he hints at more to come. Does anyone know if there will be more from Rick Davis?

Paul
The last e-conversation that I had with Rick led me to believe that he believes that when SS comes out of this "economic downturn" they will resume where they left off with his DVD's.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

Sony likes to keep things in their own corner. I have a Sony DVD cam and they make you jump through hoops to copy your home movies unless you are using a Sony DVD recorder or computer. Can be done but a pain in the A$$.

There are different DVD formats. DVD+, DVD-, DVDW-,DVDW+ DVDRW-, DVDRW+ and most likley others. Most new players play all formats.
For example my 3 year old DVD recorder is a "DVD-" format. So a recorded DVD will not play in a DVD+ format player. Most people don't realize there is a format difference with DVD's. They think a DVD is like a VHS tape. If it fits, it will play.
We are talking only with home recorded DVD's. Movies you buy in stores will play on most all players.
charlese
Platinum Member

A short testimony

Post by charlese »

Now that I have taken the time to view them - I am compelled to make a short testimony for the new Shopsmith DVDs by Nick Engler.

I wholeheartedly agree with everyone who has praised them in this thread. I only have three of them, however I find them clear, smooth, outstanding audio and very informative.

I will probably buy the rest of the set at a later date.

BTW - they play on every DVD player available to me. - both computer and T.V. I prefer the computer, because the DVD can easily be stopped, replayed or repositioned. They are top quality!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Thanks for the review, Chuck.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
cerviking
Bronze Member

Don't order the Videos

Post by cerviking »

I ordered the the essentials video vol. 1 & 2.
The production quality is very poor. They set up a camera
and then never moved. No close-ups or editing at all.
The instructor is so uncomfortable on camera its painful
to watch.