Shopsmith DVDs

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hdoilcan
Gold Member

Post by hdoilcan »

I thought or ordering these also. Glad I decided not to.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

cerviking wrote:I ordered the the essentials video vol. 1 & 2.
The production quality is very poor. They set up a camera
and then never moved. No close-ups or editing at all.
The instructor is so uncomfortable on camera its painful
to watch.
Did you call the company to see about a possible replacement?

BPR
timster68
Gold Member

Post by timster68 »

Who was the host on the DVD?
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Nick Engler.
jayp413
Gold Member

Post by jayp413 »

paul heller wrote:I bought Jacob Anderson's Bandsaw maintenance DVD but could never get it to play. He blames it on my DVD play and my computer (I tried it on both), even though my DVD player is only one month old. And... it is only his DVD that cannot play. Everything things else I buy plays nicely.

He offered to exchange it for me for VHS tapes, but I no longer have a VHS player. He did not offer to swap the DVD to try another one to see if it was simply a bad DVD. So, the whole thing was a complete waste of money.

Well, he has lots of warnings on his eBay site. Anyone who goes this route should heed those warnings and plan that they will need to later on swap for VHS tapes. That way they can only be surprised when the DVD works rather than disappointed if it does not. It is definitely a buyer beware situation.

Paul
I had a similar problem. I attempted to play it on 3 different dvd players i have and even went out and bought a brand new dvd player to try it and still nothing. I ended up downloading a dvd player for my computer and got it to work. The only problem is I had hoped to have a dvd player and small tv in the garage so I could work on my mark V while watching the video. Now I have to run in and out of the house. I feel if you are going to sell a dvd, it should operate on ANY dvd player. I know he burns them himself, but I would not sell a product unless it was a functional one!
Mike
Gold Member

Re: Shopsmith DVDs

Post by Mike »

Any update on these? Was thinking of purchasing all 6. Ad says there is a savings by purchasing 6 but doing the math it appears to be 0 savings. Odd and I would hate to pay $180.00 less 6 cents for something that will not play.
I may be old but I’m slow
https://www.schmuckatellico.com/
https://scshiftknob.com
hdoilcan
Gold Member

Post by hdoilcan »

I own 3 from Jakcob Anderson and they all work fine in my dvd player and computer. I also have the Shopsmith Maintenance & Alignment by Rick Davis. I think this one is a great dvd and the quality of video is very good but wish they would show a few more close up's at times.
mvanderbyl
Bronze Member

Post by mvanderbyl »

Is there a digital download version of these DVDs? I don't even own a DVD player any more and would most likely watch these on my computer, which also doesn't have a DVD drive.
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

Interesting. I have the original documentation that came with my SS back in 1986. Still readable, just used it to rebuild a power head more 3 decades later. Amazing compatibility after all these years with all the formats that have come and gone since 1986. Anyone still have the Betamax Pioneer DVD versions?
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!