Mark V SPEED CONTROL

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pj6
Bronze Member

Mark V SPEED CONTROL

Post by pj6 »

I have a problem turning the speed control to low speed from high. No problem increasing speed though. Can anyone explain this or offer a suggestion to eliminate the problem?
billmayo
Platinum Member

Speed Control

Post by billmayo »

The reason it is harder to turn to the slow position is that you are pushing the Control Sheave together trying to compress the belt which then must expand the motor's floating sheave againest the motor spring. When going to fast, you are opening the control sheave and the motor spring closes the motor floating sheave. You need to lubicate the control sheave and floating sheave with 5-6 drops of oil and then excerise the speed control. See the instruction on Mark5 Maintenance at http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/productmanuals.htm for information on when and how to do this required maintenance.

When you need to lubicate the motor floating sheave, turn the Speed control to the highest speed with the motor running. Turn motor off. Move belt housing to the end of the way tubes and the headstock to the other end. Put 5 or 6 drops of oil in the oil hole on floating sheave. Then I grab the floating sheave with both hands watching that I don't get my fingers too far into the sheases and pull out and let go. The floating sheave should slam back immediately. If not, I repeat this procedure a few times. If the floating sheave stays sluggest or sticking when doing this, you will need to remove the motor and clean the motor shaft and inside the floating sheave bushing.

Bill Mayo
pj6 wrote:I have a problem turning the speed control to low speed from high. No problem increasing speed though. Can anyone explain this or offer a suggestion to eliminate the problem?