MV 500 Saw Guard Mounting Block

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

judebak
Silver Member

Re: MV 500 Saw Guard Mounting Block

Post by judebak »

Thanks to everyone for all your help and suggestions. After thinking about this issue I have decided to upgrade to a 520 main table and get the newer upper and lower saw guards. Thanks again.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

judebak wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:38 am Thanks to everyone for all your help and suggestions. After thinking about this issue I have decided to upgrade to a 520 main table and get the newer upper and lower saw guards. Thanks again.
I think it is a great solution, I love the 520.But make sure you understand the ramifications ($) because there are several things you need. See the SS web site https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... ofence.htm for the full conversion. You don't necessarily need the full table system to use a 520 main table for the saw function, but saw arbors, carriage, rip fence, guards, trunnion, tubes, and table inserts are, off the top of my head, essentially the minimum.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

If you are looking at buying a used upgrade carefully compare it to the parts included with a new one in the Shopsmith catalog here on the website. If you are buying a new one from Shopsmith than no worries about completeness. As it does state in the catalog listing you may need additional table inserts, a change to the mortising hold-down and some other saw arbors depending on how you use your Mark V.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
judebak
Silver Member

Post by judebak »

Thanks David and Russ. I did find what I needed on eBay. My shop is relatively small so I just purchased the main table assembly, the carriage assembly and the upper and lower saw guards. Everything came in good condition and I am in the process of doing all the adjustments. I am waiting for a new saw arbor to arrive so I can finish the alignments.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Since you bought just the Main Table/Carriage Assembly I hope it came with the Mark V 520 Fence too. You didn't list that. For now, you can still use your original Extension Table and Mark V 500 Fence on it to do wider cuts. The next upgrade you may want is a Mark V 520 Extension Table and then you will no longer need to have two Fences. As time goes on you can add the two Floating Extension Tables, four 27” Connecting Tubes, two Telescoping Legs to finish the upgrade to a Mark V 520. This will give you much more flexibility for table setups. You can add these piece by piece or as groups, whichever works best for you. For the Floating Extension Tables, 27” Connecting Tubes, Telescoping Legs Shopsmith sells the Extend Your Workspace set as part number 522357 which is one of the expansion items when buying the Mark V 520S as a bare basic unit to expand later. Your current Miter from the Mark V 500 will work on the Mark V 520 Table but it doesn't have the washer to hold it in the "T" Track. Not a problem to use the older Miter but at some point you may consider upgrading it too. A lot of things change when going from the Mark V 500 to the Mark V 520. Some of which were mentioned previously.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.