Just bought a Shopsmith Mark V

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BTMac
Bronze Member

Just bought a Shopsmith Mark V

Post by BTMac »

I have been wanting a lathe, jointer and bandsaw for a while. Saw a nice looking Mark V on FB so I thought I would give it a shot. The unit is apparently from 1981, but seems to be in pretty good condition. Came with a bunch of accessories including the jointer and bandsaw. Interested to try overhead routing with it as well

Anyone want to buy a Jet 17" drill press? I think the Shopsmith will be at least as good for that.
Shopsmith Mark V 1.jpg
Shopsmith Mark V 1.jpg (406.11 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
Shopsmith Mark V acc.jpg
Shopsmith Mark V acc.jpg (426.29 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
Mark V 500 w/ bandsaw, jointer and shaper, Jet tablesaw
RCZ
Gold Member

Re: Just bought a Shopsmith Mark V

Post by RCZ »

Wow, looks like a good haul and a great start for you! Congrats and welcome to the forum.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

That's a nice set of accessories it came with. A tenon master, mortising tool, shaper, molder, you got it goin' there. You're gonna have so much fun with your first Shopsmith.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Very nice "starter".
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I agree with the other guys, a nice collection of Shopsmith tools and accessories. You even have two additional Wide Extension Tables besides the original Extension Table. The serial numbers for the Mark V, Bandsaw and Jointer would tell when they were made. I did notice a couple of things. I don't see the Table Insert on the Bandsaw or it may just be the picture angle. The other thing I noticed is the part called the "shoe" for the Upper Saw Guard is not on it but is with the items you received. It is the part in the circle in your picture below.

_
BTMac Shopsmith circle.jpg
BTMac Shopsmith circle.jpg (187.15 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
You will want this attached to the front of the upper Guard before using, as shown in place in the picture below. Without it the upper guard cannot lift up over the materiel being cut.

_
505627 Upper and 505628 Lower Saw Blade Guards r.jpg
505627 Upper and 505628 Lower Saw Blade Guards r.jpg (85.54 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
Do the recommended Maintenance and Lubrication before using and enjoy your new to you Shopsmith tools. If needed we are here to help.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Post by DaOldGuy »

I am new on this forum and was looking to ask questions and I seen this thread, if ok I would like to ask a couple related questions.
Short Version.
Seen an ad for a $100 Lathe, in my normal manner jumped in car to grab it, never looked up anything.
Turns out, serial number indicates it is a 1955 and the manuals with it state Mark 5.

I have heard in the research after purchase, these early versions tend to push the frame to separate and is an apparent risk. I have not seen if there are corrective measures that that can be taken to correct.

Please feel free to point me to another place if this is not proper to ask here. The above looks like a really nice newer version than I have.
Ron
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"
Needs Un-Gilmer'd and some love.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DaOldGuy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:33 pm I am new on this forum and was looking to ask questions and I seen this thread, if ok I would like to ask a couple related questions.
Short Version.
Seen an ad for a $100 Lathe, in my normal manner jumped in car to grab it, never looked up anything.
Turns out, serial number indicates it is a 1955 and the manuals with it state Mark 5.

I have heard in the research after purchase, these early versions tend to push the frame to separate and is an apparent risk. I have not seen if there are corrective measures that that can be taken to correct.

Please feel free to point me to another place if this is not proper to ask here. The above looks like a really nice newer version than I have.
Ron
First of all, welcome to the forum. There are lots of knowledgeable people here and we are all willing to answer your questions. So don't hesitate to ask.

As far as "these early versions tend to push the frame to separate ", I have never heard of that. The base frame of your '55 is essentially the same as the one pictured in this thread and for that matter the brand new ones you can buy today. So I would disregard that "issue" completely. No fix required.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Post by DaOldGuy »

Thank You John... What I was reading indicated how the pipes clamp into the frames and the newer had a set screw/pin from the top that prevented that separating with the lathe pressure. Since everything you read on the internet is true (grin) I wanted to air the subject in a good place and I also don't wish to get hurt.

On the Shop Smith web site, there was an FAQ post that asked
"Do you buy back Mark V?"
"We do not currently offer a buy-back program."
I was not sure why that would even be asked, but it is at the top of the list.

Another question if I might. For the tool holders that slide on the way bars, has that width and diameter always been static so different models may interchange? Mark V verses a 502 or the other models newer? I have noticed the newer mount that the tool rest sets into that has a adjustment wheel which my current one does not.
Thanks
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"
Needs Un-Gilmer'd and some love.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Yes, the way tube diameter and spacing is the same on all models.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

DaOldGuy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:01 pm ...different models may interchange? Mark V verses a 502 or the other models newer?
Thanks
The 500,502,505,510 and 520 models. Refer to the table sizes, the motor and frame are all the same.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob