Just bought a Shopsmith Mark V

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Just bought a Shopsmith Mark V

Post by JPG »

The later models have a wheel in place of the earlier repositionable handle.

The way tube spacing has NOT changed since the original Mark 5 (greenie) which your is.

SS has maintained a great effort to insure compatibility between model variations when possible. Even so far as to include stuff from the original model 10. It IS possible to upgrade yours all the way up to the current Mark 7.(I do not recommend that as it will likely not be necessary and would be more expensive than purchasing a new Mark 7, but it IS possible)

You may be referring to a damage suit that claimed the set screw retention was inadequate. All here would consider that mystery meat.

Welcome to the madness.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Post by DaOldGuy »

Thanks folks, I was hopeful that was the case.
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"
Needs Un-Gilmer'd and some love.
DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Post by DaOldGuy »

"You may be referring to a damage suit that claimed the set screw retention was inadequate. All here would consider that mystery meat.

Welcome to the madness."
Ah... Lawyers were involved --> keep an eye on your equipment, tighten things now and again, pragmatic ownership.

Speaking of Greene, if I attached the picture correctly, the end cover with the Serial and chassis is green, the head seems to have 2 forms of tan, may have been replaced at some point? Not sure if there is any way outside of the serial to understand more.
Greene.jpg
Greene.jpg (135.35 KiB) Viewed 969 times
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yep there is.

You have a "Type "A" headstock. It is the earlier sand cast version(heavier, thicker walls)

The belt cover screws tell the tale. And the wide headstock mold sprue [aka joint].

The two tone casting/motor pan colors is the result of the passage of time.

The saw blade cover(s) is not period accurate, but is an example of the upgradability.

You done good!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

DaOldGuy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:01 pm What I was reading indicated how the pipes clamp into the frames and the newer had a set screw/pin from the top that prevented that separating with the lathe pressure.
The newer machines have that set screw on top of the way tubes. They are simply relocated from the bottom for convenience, nothing new structurally.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yep just like a M10! I do not understand WHY they were relocated on the M5 unless the same mentality that decided to fill in the headstock set screws with whatever that stuff is to prevent unwary souls from monkeying with them.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Post by DaOldGuy »

Indeed the saw was an upgraded version, there is much plastic involved. I took it all off yesterday to use my Mahindra to lift, with straps, off of the trailer and set in the garage. The Jointer was very old like the rest.

Cleaning and recommended maintenance will be next and setting it up.
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As others have already said "You done good". There are some differences as JPG stated. One not mentioned yet is the bench tubes which were larger in diameter (1-7/8") on the Mark 5 Greenies as opposed to later bench tubes being the same diameter (1-3/4") as all way tubes.

If you want to learn more about the Shopsmith Mark 5 changes check out Shopsmith Mark 5 What When and Where from here in the Community section at the link below.

viewtopic.php?t=24963

For more information on maintenance and restoration check out the following thread from the Maintenance and Repair section titled Everything Mark 5/V - Technical info, documentation, links at the link below.

viewtopic.php?t=5092

This thread can always be found as one of the first 4 threads pinned to the top of the Maintenance and Repair section.

If your Jointer is a green Magna Model 620 it is from the same era as the Mark 5. It may be old but, again like the Mark 5, changes/upgrades to the Jointer over the years can still be added to older Jointers.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Post by DaOldGuy »

Thank you for the additional links, this will help me get to some key points. The jointer is greene (not sure of model) and showing the most rust likely from storage maybe. The Bench tube are going to need some navel jelly and care to clean them up, the way tubes not nearly as bad but care is required too. I have an area for it that has year round climate control to keep it from getting worst.

I have to spread out everything on tables and see what is here, we were searching the shed it came from for over an hour to locate anything shop smith. Sadly, the prior owner / craftsman had passed away a year ago so no one in the family really new all the bits and location hidden.

What made it worst, I had no clue, never even heard of this company or product so I did not know what I was looking for unless in was labeled shop smith. You all have been very helpful.
Ron
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Your immediate "need" is to obtain a can of Johnson's Original Paste Floor wax (commonly referred to as JPW herein) [OR EQUIVALENT}. Sadly it went out of production this year and is now quite scarce. Equivalents are Trewax and Minwax paste finishing wax.

I know paste floor wax and paste finishing wax does not make much sense now, but you WILL learn to appreciate them.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝