Just bought a Shopsmith Mark V

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Just bought a Shopsmith Mark V

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:20 pm
DaOldGuy wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:58 am Just thinking out loud.... If you added a 2 bearing Quill and there was play in the splines and or drive bearings, you could still have wobble / run out?
In my opinion if you have a good two bearing quill with all good parts it will exhibit very low runout. (Generally less than 0.001" in my experience.) Extreme error elsewhere may cause earlier failure of the quill bearings, but I think that is more hypothetical than real. And would likely present itself in some other way.

Woodshop Nerdery (youtube) reported on a new Mark 7 with what he felt was a bad from the factory quill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEFFYw29yV4 So yes, it happens.

The current version quill that SS sells has a one piece spindle and larger bearings than the version Skip referred to in his video. I'm not suggesting it is necessarily or significantly better, these aren't the only changes. IIUC the current version has been around for 10+ years.

- David

When did the Power Pro come out? It was 10+ years ago I believe. I bought mine in Dec 2011 and it arrive here in Jan 2012. At that time it had only been around for a couple of years. My guess is that SS upgraded (bearings?) the quill for the Power Pro since it runs twice as fast as the conventional head stock. Putting that upgraded quill (the only one they sell) in a conventional head stock has to be a plus compared to the older quills.
Last edited by jsburger on Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Post by DaOldGuy »

I worry about bearings from the perspective where they are made. I trust not any china bearings, prefer Japan over them but Germany and others have really good bearings. Not knowing the brand that SS sells, it worries me, I don't want to buy them. We do a lot of work with automotive and 2 cycle small motors, to me bearings make a big difference. I am going to find the best I can for the Jointer, that silly thing is high speed abuse. :D

I have seen the Quill replacement videos and it goes from 10 run out to 1 run out. Is it in the spline, or in the drive bearings maybe?

I did call shop smith today to see if the parts I need to restore are on sale, eternal hold, that eventually hung up. Fridays are a tough day.
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"
Needs Un-Gilmer'd and some love.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I totally agree with you about bearings. The Shopsmith Model 10's from the late 40's and early 50's had Fafnir bearings in the quill and the drive sleeve. When I refurbish a Model 10 I use new Fafnir bearings. Yes, they are more expensive but you pay for quality.

I have 5 Model 10's here and they all run fine with the original Fafnir bearings after 70 years. However I still replace them ( two machines so far) when they get refurbished.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Post by DaOldGuy »

:eek: My upgrade parts are on sale but when I add to cart the list at normal price. I cant find a promo code and the sale ends tomorrow.

Scratch That... seems to be working now.
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Complete the order and see if the sale price comes up then. If not leave the order in place and call SS first thing on Monday at their opening (CDT) time. SS does not charge your card until the item ships. They will make it right.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Back to the Greenie quill. The single bearing is in close proximity to the quill output shaft end. Even a 'tight' bearing will have some slop(necessary!). No coupler. Metal to metal splines.

Now the point is, that the length of the splined shaft vs the distance from the front bearing to the quill output is large. This makes the runout fairly small. The effect of any play at the drive sleeve end will be quite small due to the length of the splined shaft.

The spacer collar is there merely to allow ease of mating the splined shaft to the drive sleeve since the bearing slop causes the far end of the splined shaft to wobble considerably.

Rambling somewhat but hopefully thee gets the relevant point.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Post by DaOldGuy »

Rambling is good, I seem to do it often. :D

I got the 4 main parts ordered on SALE so I am happy about that. When they come in, I will take a hard look at the bearings and decide if I need to order new before installing or let them be. With the new drive sheave and Quill, run out should be very little. I just sold off my Screen Printing equipment so the space is opening up and additional upgrades and add-ons can be considered.

I give my Drive Sheave a yank tonight, it has a grinding stone on it. Those bearings are toast so the new one will be a happy addition.

Do you guys buy the chucks to clamp wood into for yours? I have seem many, I think I would like to have a couple of those.
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"