Just bought a Shopsmith Mark V

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Re: Just bought a Shopsmith Mark V

Post by DaOldGuy »

That item you circled, I badly referred to it above at the drive link to the Jointer however, not sure its true but I know the item you circled was a very old style link that was known to fail, often they dried out. This one is in very good shape, still pliable. I understood the nylon replacement should be the target and that kit is like 44 bucks.

The jointer was on the shop smith when I picked it up and seemed to have all the mounting it needed. I am not sure how to drive it. Its turns free but seems dry so once cleaned up, I should be able to check better. The documents are crazy, I have a couple issues of Shavers that Nick Engler ended before he started the Hands On, which I have a few copies of that, among several color catalogs for the greene and goldie.
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"
Needs Un-Gilmer'd and some love.
DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Post by DaOldGuy »

I also noticed my disc sanding plate is not conical like others that I have heard mentioned on videos.
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

There are three types of 12"sanding discs.

The early aluminum ones which were on the M10 and the Mark 5. (there are two versions of it)

Later (SS Inc)created the flat steel ones. There are two versions of the hub to accommodate the M5, MV 500
and the later 510 and mark 7.

The conical version was introduced later and also has two versions(short/long hub)

Another version was the 10" MVII version which is flat on one side and conical on the back side.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Post by DaOldGuy »

I am not sure the advantage/disadvantage of either. Seems the conical was a little more of a struggle to get the paper on it.

Any thoughts on the 3 and 3/4 lathe plate to do bowls and such. I would also like to get a lathe chuck one day too.
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:28 pm There are three types of 12"sanding discs.

The early aluminum ones which were on the M10 and the Mark 5. (there are two versions of it)

Later (SS Inc)created the flat steel ones. There are two versions of the hub to accommodate the M5, MV 500

The conical version was introduced later and also has two versions(short/long hub)

Another version was the 10" MVII version which is flat on one side and conical on the back side.
Hmmm, I didn't know we had a Model 1007. :rolleyes:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:48 pm
JPG wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:28 pm There are three types of 12"sanding discs.

Hmmm, I didn't know we had a Model 1007. :rolleyes:

1007???

The flat and conical disks are used for different purposes.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Roman numeral MVII is 1007 Arabic.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Post by DaOldGuy »

jsburger wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:23 pm Roman numeral MVII is 1007 Arabic.
Thanks for sorting that out, I thought I lost my mind figuring out what that meant. :rolleyes:
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John is having a little fun with JPG. :D MKII vs 1007

JPG gave you the short version and good information for the Sanding Disk. I can expand a bit on that if you are interested.

The Jointer mounts to the Mark 5 on the left side of the Headstock but unlike most other SPT's it is powered by the lower "high speed" shaft as shown below. Getting the Hubs and Power Coupler will allow you to power the Jointer. If it were myself, I would put the early coupler aside as a piece of Shopsmith history, in fact I have two that are put aside. Preserve those old documents too.

_
Jointer Bevel Cut.jpg
Jointer Bevel Cut.jpg (10.28 KiB) Viewed 727 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Post by DaOldGuy »

chapmanruss wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:49 pm John is having a little fun with JPG. :D MKII vs 1007

JPG gave you the short version and good information for the Sanding Disk. I can expand a bit on that if you are interested.

The Jointer mounts to the Mark 5 on the left side of the Headstock but unlike most other SPT's it is powered by the lower "high speed" shaft as shown below. Getting the Hubs and Power Coupler will allow you to power the Jointer. If it were myself, I would put the early coupler aside as a piece of Shopsmith history, in fact I have two that are put aside. Preserve those old documents too.

Jointer Bevel Cut.jpg
Cheers Russ,

I thought it was hooked up as you have shown it, but trying to to assume / get killed by doing it wrong. :D

I have pulled my Quill from its holder (sounds personal) and determined I have in fact a update one with 2 twin bearings, happy about that. It is clean but dry, in need of Wax.

I have watched many video's that show pulling the end cover to do oil and cleaning around the shafts and every one I have seen had 2 Philips screw. Oh not mine, it has 9. :o My Greene has a gold bottom and sort of a grey top, with a greene end cover.
IMG_20220629_170031717.jpg
IMG_20220629_170031717.jpg (207.94 KiB) Viewed 704 times
IMG_20220629_100352746_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220629_100352746_HDR.jpg (92.93 KiB) Viewed 704 times
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"