can someone tell me what the issues with the power pro headstock are

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: can someone tell me what the issues with the power pro headstock are

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I like cool ,,,, but when ever I do cool my other hobbies suffer , my machine gets moved around constantly from one part of the garage to another . one reason I bought it was the convenience over a stand alone . one of these days we plan to replace the old wheels with the larger nylon style so weight wouldn't be a issue .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
tucsonguy
Gold Member

Post by tucsonguy »

Having had my Powerpro for over four years now, in daily use, I've had no problems at all. But you should keep in mind the following:
A) 10,000 rpm is a high upper speed and run for more than a few (10 or 15) minutes, it will get warm in there. There are no good reasons for operating the Powerpro at max speed - even at 10k the SS is a poor router, so you are better off using a router plus table for routing work. If you run at normal operating speeds (250-5000) you will not encounter heat problems. I never have.
B) It is 10 pounds heavier, the lift assist is very helpful.
C) The most common killer of Shopsmiths is sawdust in the headstock and the Powerpro is as susceptible, if not more so, than the conventional headstock. I built and installed a HEPA filter system with powered fan which keeps all dust out of the headstock, permanently - it maintains a positive overpressure, so air blows OUT any cracks and joints, so dust cannot get in. Since doing so I have never had any issues with sawdust.

The Powerpro is a considerable improvement to the Shopsmith, not merely an expensive substitute for a speed reducer. It will run in reverse (handy in drilling, sanding and for use with many SPTs); it maintains torque through continuous computer controlled adjustment, meaning it cuts and drills much better than the conventional SS. It has a wider range of speed (250 on the low end, very handy for lathe work and other stuff. As I said earlier I don't use the higher range; SS should really have given it a 50-5000 range not 250-100000)
It's also lower maintenance.
Geoff Baker
1951 10ER w variable speed electronic motor with reverse
1999 520 w PowerPro
Belt sander - strip sander - bandsaw - scrollsaw - jointer - overarm router - undertable router mounted on main SS saw table - speed increaser - speed reducer - forced air HEPA filter for headstock - 19" SS powered aluminum drum sander - index wheel system - lathe table crossslide vise system
WoOdbEmE33
Silver Member

Post by WoOdbEmE33 »

Well why not both worlds.. The old headstock and speed reducer can be kept for backup if the Power Pro goes on the fritz or even better add the speed reducer to the Power Pro for a whooping 35 RPM -250 RPM . I like my cake but...... I like to eat it too.
and you know the heavier you are the harder you are to kidnap so enjoy the cake :) :)
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

I've had a Power Pro ever since they were first introduced. It came as a kit, so I assembled it all into the old headstock and offset some of the cost by selling the old motor, speed reducer and speed increaser. I've only had one issue with it, which a tweak of the firmware has cured. I believe that there was a 2nd issue of firmware for the newer Power Pros and this cures my problem. What happened was that the set screws on the power coupler hub for the bandsaw would come loose, despite heavy tightening and application of Loctite. The cause was over and undershoot of the speed controller at high frequency, which resonated the set screws on the coupler. Wes at Shopsmith called me by phone and walked me through a procedure to make an adjustment and it's been fine ever since.
I have had no problem with sawdust in the headstock, despite there being a small open hole where the old power cord entered the lower casing. In fact I had the covers off 2 days ago to inspect the headstock lock (first time in many years) and there was minimal ingress of dirt or dust. What there was, I removed with compressed air.
There is a procedure for belt tensioning which is easy to follow, but shouldn't be necessary for a factory-built unit. You would know if the belts were out of adjustment, because the headstock would get noisy and if you adjust immediately, no damage should occur. I've not had to do that since my initial setup.
The belts are very tight and run hot. My garage mechanic friend assures me that this is quite normal on modern automobiles, so there is no issue with the Power Pro.
The only maintenance I've found necessary on the headstock is to remove the quill every so often, clean off any crap and wax it. I also removed the headstock locking mechanism, re-dressed the wedges and applied some graphite to the screw threads.
I fitted the upgraded castors quite a few years ago and they're a brilliant improvement for my rough concrete floor. Unless you were wheeling the unit around all day long, day after day, I doubt you would damage the castors, even with the extra weight of the Power Pro.
There are two major advantages to the Power Pro - full torque at all speeds, which you don't get from a conventional motor with adjustable belts. I've not managed to make mine bog down yet and I do push it too hard sometimes!
With the shaper attachments, its possible to reverse the cutters and feed in the opposite direction to 'normal' and you simply reverse the motor with a press of a button.
There is one small and rather obscure disadvantage with the Power Pro, which most folks would never know about. As a Radio Ham, I am very sensitive about man-made RF 'noise'! The Power Pro controller throws out a lot of that, despite being enclosed by metal. It's not the motor because it does this when it's at standby. Fortunately there are no other Radio Hams near me to be affected and I don't go 'on-the-air' when I'm woodworking, so no significant effect on me either. 🤣