PowerPro What's'It

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: PowerPro What's'It

Post by dusty »

Nope, Absolutely Not.

That video does not provide clarification of the three circled screws. Something has changed subsequent to that video. The three screws appear to be higher (no longer covered by a mounted motor pan). In three (actually six) screws in question were inserted into countersunk screw holes in the motor mount an became invisible when the motor pan was installed. Now, I believe, the screws are in new holes.

Why??? My first guess would be that the casting was being fatigued (by the motor being hung through the other holes which are closer to the bottom edge of the casting.

Just another guess on my part. I hope someone who has one of these later models will come forth with pictures to show what is going on. Thus - no need to guess.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: PowerPro What's'It

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:34 am ...Why??? My first guess would be that the casting was being fatigued (by the motor being hung through the other holes which are closer to the bottom edge of the casting.
Yes, the 'standard' mounts are countersunk in a relatively thin part of the headstock casting and much closer to the edge than the new location. I recall being very careful doing the countersinks when I did the upgrade, depth of the countersink needs to be fairly precise. But I think that if this were a problem in the field or for warranty reasons, it would have been much better for SS to alter ONLY the outer mount piece for the new screw location. The new part could be made available to all users for retrofit at a reasonable price, in the $100 range for new mounts, hardware, and a drilling guide. As opposed to the $1000 range for to retrofit what we see in the picture. From that I'd conclude that it is likely neither a problem in the field nor a warranty concern. At least I hope not.

I'd be more inclined to think that this change reduces production costs or reflects temporary engineering released to resolve a supply chain problem. (For example, availability of the SS standard dovetail motor case.)

- David