PowerPro What's'It

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

PowerPro What's'It

Post by DLB »

In a recent Woodshop Nerdery video I noticed that Tom's shiny new M7 headstock appears to have some fasteners that my DIY PowerPro does not. A manufacturing change? Possibly a change to how the motor mounts in the headstock?

Tom M7 (2).png
Tom M7 (2).png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1411 times

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: PowerPro What's'It

Post by edma194 »

That is very interesting and approximately where the motor mounts are. The motor mount screws are normally hidden by the belt cover so if those are the only motor mounting screws they would needed to change the casting and motor pan. They could be additional support screws for the motor mount blocks but it looks like they need to be removed to get the motor pan off.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

This Woodshop Nerdery video, maybe the same one above, at 8:57 shows a seal over the inspection port on the back side of the headstock. I hadn't heard about that so far, does that mean a new headstock has to be returned to Shopsmith if it has a problem under warranty?

warning.jpg
warning.jpg (52.21 KiB) Viewed 1366 times

The new fasteners on the sides clearly go through the casting, and could be the motor mounting screws, but I think the mount must have changed for a new position. Not hard to do if it's only the intermediate mounting block. The current service parts diagram for the Mark 7 headstock doesn't show those fasteners.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Is the inspection port completely sealed off now on new PowerPro's??? IF so, that is very disappointing. I would want to install supplemental cooling for positive air displacement in the headstock should I ever purchase a PowerPro. Disappointing if Shopsmith has blocked off this access port now...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

edma194 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:25 pm This Woodshop Nerdery video, maybe the same one above, at 8:57 shows a seal over the inspection port on the back side of the headstock. I hadn't heard about that so far, does that mean a new headstock has to be returned to Shopsmith if it has a problem under warranty?
I hadn't watched that one yet. I think the seal is just on the Power Supply, I have the same/similar seal but I'm not sure if it is in the same location.

So, IIUC, he has so far had his entire M7 replaced under warranty and now the Quill on the second M7? That seems like a lot in a short period of time...

I had to replace the outer bearing in my DIY PP Quill at about a year of age due to excessive (IMO) end play. Also in another quill, though not one I bought new, for the same thing. Both had the same brand outer bearing, leaving me with a negative impression. I don't specifically recall whether I measured runout on either one. I'm curious now and may go back and measure runout, but it will be on the new bearings.

Note - the inner bearing on these newer one-piece spindle quills may be a challenge depending on how one's shop is equipped, but the outer is no harder to deal with than on any other quill.

- David
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:25 pm This Woodshop Nerdery video, maybe the same one above, at 8:57 shows a seal over the inspection port on the back side of the headstock. I hadn't heard about that so far, does that mean a new headstock has to be returned to Shopsmith if it has a problem under warranty?

warning.jpg

The new fasteners on the sides clearly go through the casting, and could be the motor mounting screws, but I think the mount must have changed for a new position. Not hard to do if it's only the intermediate mounting block. The current service parts diagram for the Mark 7 headstock doesn't show those fasteners.
Please look at the video again and LISTEN to what he says. It is not a seal on the inspection port. It is a warning label on the computer control box inside the head stock that happens to be visible from the inspection port..
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:03 pm
I hadn't watched that one yet. I think the seal is just on the Power Supply, I have the same/similar seal but I'm not sure if it is in the same location.

So, IIUC, he has so far had his entire M7 replaced under warranty and now the Quill on the second M7? That seems like a lot in a short period of time...

I had to replace the outer bearing in my DIY PP Quill at about a year of age due to excessive (IMO) end play. Also in another quill, though not one I bought new, for the same thing. Both had the same brand outer bearing, leaving me with a negative impression. I don't specifically recall whether I measured runout on either one. I'm curious now and may go back and measure runout, but it will be on the new bearings.

Note - the inner bearing on these newer one-piece spindle quills may be a challenge depending on how one's shop is equipped, but the outer is no harder to deal with than on any other quill.

- David
Where did you hear that? He only talks about the quill in the video.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

jsburger wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:41 pm Where did you hear that? He only talks about the quill in the video.
It was in this earlier video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iOr7MHP06A Which in turn refers back to his unboxing video. I don't recall the specific problems with the first unit, would need to look at that one again.

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

jsburger wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:28 pm Please look at the video again and LISTEN to what he says. It is not a seal on the inspection port. It is a warning label on the computer control box inside the head stock that happens to be visible from the inspection port..
Well that was kind of dumb. I was looking for shots of those screws and didn't have the sound on. Should have at least turned on sub-titles.
Ed from Rhode Island

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I went back and reviewed his unboxing video. I did not learn why SS replaced Tom's Mark 7. But I found it interesting that his initial machine did not appear to have the screws that are the subject of this thread.

- David