PowerPro What's'It

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: PowerPro What's'It

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:42 am I went back and reviewed his unboxing video. I did not learn why SS replaced Tom's Mark 7. But I found it interesting that his initial machine did not appear to have the screws that are the subject of this thread.

- David
In his original video, there were A LOT of manufacturing, assembly, quality type issues that he went over regarding his new Mark 7 purchase. IMHO, it was a a LONG list and Tom was VERY gracious to accept that original Mark 7 in such a state. Apparently Shopsmith agreed to replace it with a new machine, but that meant boxing the old one back up and driving it back to the factory, etc., etc. I am VERY surprised that Shopsmith would sell him a machine with so many issues, knowing that he was coming for a factory tour and has a YouTube channel related to Shopsmith equipment. Kinda feel like Shopsmith shot themselves in the foot on this one. JMO.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Here is an image I grabbed from a later Woodshop Nerdery video entitled 'Zero Runout...' The motor mounts are much different than mine. The motor itself, or at least the end cap, is much different than mine. It is not the ideal view for highlighting the differences as that was not its intent, but there is enough detail to conclude that changes have taken place.

Toms PowerPro (2).jpg
Toms PowerPro (2).jpg (82.27 KiB) Viewed 1320 times

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

It does look like larger motor mounts could have mounting screws further up where those external ones are. So are the original screws that get covered by the motor pan still there? Not sure why moving those screws is an improvement unless the original holes were too close to the edge of the casting.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
oldnavy
Bronze Member

Post by oldnavy »

I recently installed a DIY Power Pro. This youtube answers all the questions in detail. 3 new holes/side are drilled in the upper casting for the new motor mounts. The bottom pan is attached to the casting with the original 4 screws. The old motor mount screws on the bottom of the pan are discarded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCLkH6T1uQE
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

oldnavy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:12 am I recently installed a DIY Power Pro. This youtube answers all the questions in detail. 3 new holes/side are drilled in the upper casting for the new motor mounts. The bottom pan is attached to the casting with the original 4 screws. The old motor mount screws on the bottom of the pan are discarded.
Excellent tutorial - even if you do not plan to do a DIY,
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

oldnavy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:12 am I recently installed a DIY Power Pro. This youtube answers all the questions in detail. 3 new holes/side are drilled in the upper casting for the new motor mounts. The bottom pan is attached to the casting with the original 4 screws. The old motor mount screws on the bottom of the pan are discarded.
That shows the original motor mount in 3 holes on each side of the headstock that are covered by the motor pan. We're still looking for a possible change in the motor mounts that has mounting screws in a new position.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Here is a view I borrowed from eBay, this one looks like mine. Note the dovetail grooves in the motor housing that engage the motor mounts, those do not appear to me to be present on the 'new style' motor (keeping in mind that the pic I posted earlier is at a poor angle for evaluating detail). IMO the new motor will not fit in existing PP headstocks without modification to the headstocks, an impact for spares and repairs. For now I'm hoping that only the motor mechanical interfaces have changed.

PPView.jpg
PPView.jpg (171.91 KiB) Viewed 1184 times

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

There is a SS video (Jim McCann) that I believe shows very clearly that the dove tail device is still used and that device is connected to the Shopsmith housing with three countersunk screws on each side, It further shows that the motor cover is connected with the same screws that it uses originally, ie the motor is no longer attached to the motor housing.

I'll try to locate that video and if I do it will be linked to this thread.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

When you locate it it will show the 'original' motor mount etc..
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:12 pm When you locate it it will show the 'original' motor mount etc..
Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCLkH6T1uQE&t=5871s

The entire video was informative (to me) but the point of this thread is highlighted at about 1:25 and on.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty