Turning Peppermills

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ncturkey
Bronze Member

Turning Peppermills

Post by ncturkey »

What do I need to be to turn Peppermills and salt mills?
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Turning Peppermills

Post by RFGuy »

ncturkey wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:37 pm What do I need to be to turn Peppermills and salt mills?
I am still new to turning myself, but have done a few of them so far. I found a YouTube video that was very helpful for me to get started. Have a look at the thread that I posted before at the link below and let me know if you have any questions. Also, there are a few really experienced woodturners on this forum and they might be able to offer some suggestions as well. Also, below is a link to a website that I use to buy the salt and pepper mechanisms.

viewtopic.php?p=289496#p289496

https://chefspecialties.com/collections ... isms-parts
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Look to Penn State Woodturning for pepper mill kits. They are presumed leaders for that sort of thing
They also have all the accessories that you will need
Bill V
ncturkey
Bronze Member

Post by ncturkey »

Thanks guys for the help.
I am looking into Penn State items for Peppermills and etc.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

ncturkey wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:30 pm Thanks guys for the help.
I am looking into Penn State items for Peppermills and etc.
I guess I should have asked are you planning on making the little salt and pepper mills that sit on a dinner table, or do you plan to make tall salt and pepper shakers? I guess I was thinking of the more professional (10-12" tall) salt and pepper mills used by chefs and some home cooks. Honestly Penn State doesn't have a great selection of kits for tall salt and pepper mills IMHO. I would check out the link below if you want these and they have lots of choices of different heights unlike Penn State's offerings. They also have the traditional design of a steel mechanism for pepper and a ceramic one for salt, whereas Penn State only sells ceramic. IF anyone has found a better supplier for this hardware (other than Chef Specialties or Penn State) I would really appreciate if you would drop a link for them as well. Thanks.

https://chefspecialties.com/collections ... isms-parts
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor