Shopsmith 6000

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Re: Shopsmith 6000

Post by thedovetailjoint »

When a DC3300 filter hood is new or freshly cleaned it doesn’t offer much resistance to the air, so it doesn’t inflate aggressively as it will when the hood gets a bit of a cake built. Totally normal behavior. Scott
http://www.Youtube.com/user/MyGrowthRings
http://Shopsmith-Tool-Hunter.Blogspot.com
http://www.Tool-Hunter.com
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

thedovetailjoint wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:15 am When a DC3300 filter hood is new or freshly cleaned it doesn’t offer much resistance to the air, so it doesn’t inflate aggressively as it will when the hood gets a bit of a cake built. Totally normal behavior. Scott
Scott not to be contrary but on my DC3300 every time I turned it on the Dust hood popped up new hood or not and the plastic waste collection bag is blown up and held taunt. In this video neither the Dust hood or the plastic collection bag seem to inflate. There was either something wrong with the machine, or the video was shot with the dust collector off. I was left with the opinion that the 6000 upgrade actually degraded instead of enhancing the performance of the normal DC3000 as I have experienced it. Not a real good promotion video.
thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Ed, I can't speak to the unit in the video, but I own three DC3300's and worked with dozens of them during my days at Shopsmith and I assure you, a clean or new hood will not be taunt. I'll happily demonstrate in a video.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

thedovetailjoint wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:29 pm Ed, I can't speak to the unit in the video, but I own three DC3300's and worked with dozens of them during my days at Shopsmith and I assure you, a clean or new hood will not be taunt. I'll happily demonstrate in a video.
I'd watch your video. That's not the performance I'd expect, but I have zero experience with a new or clean 12" hood. (I did buy a new 42" hood though.) But, in his video, Mike did not use a new or clean hood, other than blowing it out a bit with a leaf blower. He explicitly said so around 11:25. I'd think the questions and comments here are valid and will remain so even after you demonstrate your point ("Totally normal behavior" for a new or clean hood). Maybe you could include a sample with the sort of light cleaning he did.(?)

- David
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

thedovetailjoint wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:29 pm Ed, I can't speak to the unit in the video, but I own three DC3300's and worked with dozens of them during my days at Shopsmith and I assure you, a clean or new hood will not be taunt. I'll happily demonstrate in a video.
Well my DC3300 must be an exception, because when I turn it on with a clean hood, the hood pops up taunt and the plastic collection bag is very taunt. Look at that video again the plastic collection bag is not even taunt and that is where the motor/fan is blowing the air.
Again based on the demo video I would not buy the the DC6000 upgrade. If nothing else they should reshoot and fake it if they have too. I was expecting to see both the Hood and collection bag instantly inflated to max with the “so called increased performance”.
Sorry that is the way I see see it.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Just to be sure I went back and watched the video again. When he turned it on I could hear the motor start but I saw no movement at all in either the dust hood or the plastic dust collection bag. I would almost be willing to say the only thing turning was the motor the fan I my opinion was either not installed or not turning. Bad bad bad promotional video to show the increased power of the DC6000.
Look at any other manufactures promotional video and they show things like dust hoods or collection bags getting fully inflated.

Again this video would never convince me to upgrade my DC3300!
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

As I recall from the 6000 upgrade thread, unless you want to use 2 or more hoses at once, there's no reason to upgrade. The 6000 simply doesn't move more cfm through one hose.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Ed in Tampa wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:34 am Just to be sure I went back and watched the video again. When he turned it on I could hear the motor start but I saw no movement at all in either the dust hood or the plastic dust collection bag. I would almost be willing to say the only thing turning was the motor the fan I my opinion was either not installed or not turning. Bad bad bad promotional video to show the increased power of the DC6000.
Look at any other manufactures promotional video and they show things like dust hoods or collection bags getting fully inflated.

Again this video would never convince me to upgrade my DC3300!
Ed, I stand corrected. I just rewatched the video for the first time since seeing it when it came out, and there is no way that the motor was on when Mike filmed this. https://youtu.be/sE2phVaZzYw?t=740 He may have recorded the audio and dubbed it into this clip, but that DC in the video was not running in the clip. Good catch and sorry for questioning your eyesight! Scott
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:09 am
I'd watch your video. That's not the performance I'd expect, but I have zero experience with a new or clean 12" hood. (I did buy a new 42" hood though.) But, in his video, Mike did not use a new or clean hood, other than blowing it out a bit with a leaf blower. He explicitly said so around 11:25. I'd think the questions and comments here are valid and will remain so even after you demonstrate your point ("Totally normal behavior" for a new or clean hood). Maybe you could include a sample with the sort of light cleaning he did.(?)

- David
Yeah, you have to watch that video closely and I know the first time through when I watched, I missed it as well, but I was only skimming the video. Scott does make a good point about filter cake, but I don't think he has seen the part of the video that is in question on this thread. Besides it is a 12" filter hood. Unless the DC-3300/6000 was a complete dog, it should be filling a 12" filter hood up like a balloon IMHO. Unless a DC-3300 is leaking like a sieve throughout, it should definitely blow up a measly 12" filter hood. I have the 42" filter hood on my DC-3300 now and it never has and never will fill that filter up, but that is because it just doesn't have the airflow needed. After seeing that video a 2nd time and seeing the feedback on this thread, I would never buy a DC-6000. I just don't think it has the performance that is claimed. Bottomline is it would need to fill a 42" filter hood, like a balloon, before I would even consider it. Competing products can do this.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

algale wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:54 am As I recall from the 6000 upgrade thread, unless you want to use 2 or more hoses at once, there's no reason to upgrade. The 6000 simply doesn't move more cfm through one hose.
That's my recollection as well, per SS Engineering (Jim). (He didn't use the phrase 'no reason to upgrade' though.)I don't recall seeing objective measurements to compare, I think the numbers were calculated rather than measured.

It sounded like Shopsmith sponsored this video. It seems to me that objective before and after measurements of airflow and sound level should have been included. And they should try again.

I'm not completely buying that this was dubbed and the DC unpowered. Or it was well done. (For what purpose?) At about 12:27, right after he asks 'Can you hear that?' he touches his shirt near his microphone. And I can hear that. More importantly, at 15:20 when he turns it on getting ready to demo it with the Jointer, I detect just enough movement of the collection bag that I know that there is some tiny bit of air movement. Not a reasonable amount, but not zero.

- David