Shopsmith 6000

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Shopsmith 6000

Post by Ed in Tampa »

There is a YouTube video of the conversion of the DC 3300 to the 6000
https://youtu.be/sE2phVaZzYw

The thing that bothers me is when completed and when he turned the converted machine on neither the dust hood nor the collection bag seems to inflate like my DC 3300 does. On my machine the dust hood and the collection bag both get almost rigid from the air pressure but on his the dust hood has wriggles and indentation and the collection bag seems to almost flutter.

Is this actually how the Dc6000 conversion works?
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith 6000

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:24 pm There is a YouTube video of the conversion of the DC 3300 to the 6000

The thing that bothers me is when completed and when he turned the converted machine on neither the dust hood nor the collection bag seems to inflate like my DC 3300 does. On my machine the dust hood and the collection bag both get almost rigid from the air pressure but on his the dust hood has wriggles and indentation and the collection bag seems to almost flutter.

NO! My bags inflate just like they did before conversion.

Post Script:

However, the assembly fits together a lot different than mine. The 4" coupler appears to be different and the Fan Assembly fits into the main housing as it should.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I have watched that video twice and that was the first thing I noticed also.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:24 pm There is a YouTube video of the conversion of the DC 3300 to the 6000

Ed,

Are you talking about at around 16:28 into the video? Yeah, that video clip where he is ripping at the end doesn't sound like the dust collector is running. Sound-wise I only hear the tablesaw, so I am wondering if maybe this was an edit problem with the video or something. He only has the 12" filter hood so I would definitely expect to see it inflate when turned on, but I question if it is on at this point in the video.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:01 pm

Ed,

Are you talking about at around 16:28 into the video? Yeah, that video clip where he is ripping at the end doesn't sound like the dust collector is running. Sound-wise I only hear the tablesaw, so I am wondering if maybe this was an edit problem with the video or something. He only has the 12" filter hood so I would definitely expect to see it inflate when turned on, but I question if it is on at this point in the video.

No it is at 12:12 where he first finished the mod and turns the DC on with his remote. You can hear the DC spool up but the hood and bag don't move.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:38 pm No it is at 12:12 where he first finished the mod and turns the DC on with his remote. You can hear the DC spool up but the hood and bag don't move.
Thanks John. Wow...that is shocking. I hadn't seen that and would have to agree with you guys. That is really poor performance and is only the 12" filter hood. It should be swollen up like an air balloon.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:49 pm
jsburger wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:38 pm No it is at 12:12 where he first finished the mod and turns the DC on with his remote. You can hear the DC spool up but the hood and bag don't move.
Thanks John. Wow...that is shocking. I hadn't seen that and would have to agree with you guys. That is really poor performance and is only the 12" filter hood. It should be swollen up like an air balloon.
Well, there has to be an explanation. That can't possibly be correct.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Something seriously wrong there. On the plus side, I thought I could see something like an RTV Silicone product sealing the joint between motor and fan housings where mine leaked badly. And as Dusty said, it looked like it fit better.

He mentioned thinking it was much quieter than the DC-3300, maybe it wasn't running at proper speed? I didn't feel there was much difference in sound level between the two. Mine underperformed like that once, I had sucked up a couple of large cottonwood leaves and they stopped at that cross in the inlet that's not present on the 3300. A paper towel or rag would likely yield the same result.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am wondering if both bags were sealed tightly.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I found this video to be most informative BUT it does not depict how the dust collector bag or the filter hood react when the DC6000 is turned on. At least mine is different. I am attempting to upload a video to show how mine reacts.

DONE though crude! :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq6xRI3Ke-U

I also plan to have a discussion with Shopsmith about how much differently mine fits together. I suspect that there has been a change to either the 4" coupler or to the Fan Housing. Mine does not fit at all like the one in Mike's video.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.