Turning Game Calls

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ncturkey
Bronze Member

Turning Game Calls

Post by ncturkey »

Administrator’s deleted the same type of post.
This was the notification I got.

“ Topic disapproved:
"Game Call Turning"
Forum: Beginning Woodworking
Reason: The message contains links to illegal or pirated software. multiple posts with same question..”

My question and post had no links. And I did not see any other post with my same question.
Admin’s if this topic is still not approved I would like a explanation. And a way to respond.

I am just getting into Wood Turning. I am needing information on beginning to turn Game Calls, Peppermills, Pens and Etc.
The question I have about Game Call building is simple. I need to know the basics on getting started.
I do not need any links or any thing that would be illegal.
What kind of mandrel, arbors and drilling ideas is what I need. Not actual designs but some good ideas on tools and equipment need.
Do y’all use drill bits or reamers? Plus any help information would be helpful.

Admins please PM me if this Topic is not approved.
Thanks
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Turning Game Calls

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Creativity is a wood workers best friend , game call are what you make . my guess would be just go buy one and change as much as you can to make it your own design and sound the way you want it to, as far as drilling the holes and turning the blanks it would make things a lot easier to know what tools you all ready have and the machines you plan to use ? . good luck .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
ncturkey
Bronze Member

Post by ncturkey »

Not needing to figure the designs. I got the dimensions. Just wondering about the tools and accessories needed.
I have a Mark V, wood lathe tools to turn. I have a Nova G3 Custom. I have the 5/8” adapter to use it on my Shopsmith V.
I just got the worm screw so I can turn turkey pot calls. Been looking a different ways to drill out hole for crow calls, deer calls and duck calls and etc. I have seen folks drill with Fostner bits and regular drill bits. I have friends that use tapered reamers.
Tooling and accessories is what I would like to have folks opinions on.

Plus I have seen some folks use pen mandrel for turning game calls to.
For crow calls I am leaning toward using reamers and a arbor to hold the call while turning the barrels.

Other thing I already have are for my Shopsmith Mark V.
I have the table saw, scroll saw, bandsaw, 4” jointer.
I also have the Shopsmith power station and Shopsmith Dust collector. I have separate Blue Point tablesaw. And a separate Blue Point Drill press. And I have a 12” Planner.

Thanks
Last edited by ncturkey on Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gold Member

Post by MODERATOR »

First an apology!

There are multiple moderators for this forum. Although I was not the one who disapproved your original thread, I will attempt to al least make you understand how it likely happened.

Realize we have been quite busy lately and have been under attack by multiple spammers. One of their ploys is to create an innocuous post and then later add a link or whatever to it.

By checking the moderator log, It appears you were inadvertently disapproved as the last of a series of disapproving. Unfortunately once disapproved, there is no way for a moderator to reverse the action.

Since you also created a post very similar for peppermills that was approved I believe that was the case.

So once again an apology (we are not perfect and Admin has nothing to do with this, but Admin IS the last resort).

Welcome to this forum. You have already gained appropriate responses from knowledgeable members.
ncturkey
Bronze Member

Post by ncturkey »

Thanks mod for the reply. I was not sure if I had done something wrong. Or someone replied with a link.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

there are multiple ways to drill the holes in your situation , one is with a bit in a Jacobs chuck that is been installed on a tapered shaft that is chucked into the tailstock ,Harbor freight use to sell them as one piece , the chuck and the shaft together ,, chuck the call into the nova 3 and turn on the MKV on slow than advance the quill shaft ,the jacobs chuck in the tailstock doesnt move , another way would be to flip the set up around and chuck the nova 3 the tailstock and advance a bit into the stock , or , set up a jig that holds the call and use the MKV as a drill press and drill it out , or, use the MKV as a horizontal bore drill and drill it out . you have several options to choose from . trial and error will allow you to find what works best for you JMO
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
RonKlein
Gold Member

Post by RonKlein »

You may want to take a look at https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/Videos. Scroll through the instructional videos. Near the bottom , there is a video on turning duck calls. Ron
Ron--K6VPV
510, upgraded to 520, now PowerPro, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic, scroll saw, strip sander, pro planer, OPR, DC3300, and more.
rhinocerose
Bronze Member

Post by rhinocerose »

A woodworker's closest buddy is creativity; the games you play are what you produce. It would be far simpler to know what equipment you already have and the machinery you intend to use when drilling the holes and turning the blanks, in my opinion, than just buy one and make as many changes as you can to make it your own design and sound the way you want it to
Last edited by beeg on Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove URL.
ncturkey
Bronze Member

Post by ncturkey »

Thanks for all the replies. I have MT #2 Drill Chuck and I have one that will fit my 5/8” shaft. I can drill horizontal or vertical.
I have Frosner Bits and regular drill bits as well. I also have a few face plates too.
I tried to turn what I call a pot call on my Nova G3 and a worm chuck. The wood was saw hard I could not get the wood tight to the Nova G3. I am going to make a spacer so I can screw in the wood blank.
I have turn one piece of walnut. But my lathe tools need sharpened. I will sharpen them before I continue.
Again thanks for the comments
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

An option for holding the work piece after it is drilled.

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,