10ER headstock pulley removal

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RCZ
Gold Member

Re: 10ER headstock pulley removal

Post by RCZ »

I found this video and see this is basically what I have done before (albeit long, long ago with my Grandfather, in his shop :) )

By 'weak' I did mean insufficient tension on the spring. I described it as sloppy because the quill operation seems loose, not tight enough. But now that I have seen the video it seems for sure that it's a simple fix.

https://youtu.be/S66Lf9VAjnA
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As long as the Quill Return Spring is intact with no "odd" bends or cracks/breaks around the hole where it attaches to the Quill Feed Pinion it should be okay as JPG said it may simply need more tension. Very few of the Quill Return Springs on Model 10's I have restored needed replacements. The Mark V Quill Return Spring is the same and can be used as a replacement. Buying a new one from the factory requires buying it in the Housing which is part number 521875. That housing is for the Mark 5/V, 7 and 4 headstock, both conventional and Power Pro.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RCZ
Gold Member

Post by RCZ »

Russ, thanks for that part number at SS. I just checked and that's a good option to have in case this one I have ends up being unusable.