Zerk (grease gun) fitting installed on belt sander upper drum

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tucsonguy
Gold Member

Zerk (grease gun) fitting installed on belt sander upper drum

Post by tucsonguy »

I installed a 1/4-28 straight zerk fitting in one of the holes of the upper sander drum. It required drilling it out to 1/2 inch (to fit socket to tighten zerk) then drilling with a 7/32 drill and tapping with 1/4-28 tap. Then I milled the bottom of the hole flat so I could get a good grip with the short zerk fitting.

Now I can grease the improved needle bearing races on the upper idler drum of the belt sander. To access for maintenance, all you have to do is remove the sanding belt.
Attachments
20220704_114725_HDR.jpg
20220704_114725_HDR.jpg (283.44 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
Geoff Baker
1951 10ER w variable speed electronic motor with reverse
1999 520 w PowerPro
Belt sander - strip sander - bandsaw - scrollsaw - jointer - overarm router - undertable router mounted on main SS saw table - speed increaser - speed reducer - forced air HEPA filter for headstock - 19" SS powered aluminum drum sander - index wheel system - lathe table crossslide vise system
WoOdbEmE33
Silver Member

Re: Zerk (grease gun) fitting installed on belt sander upper drum

Post by WoOdbEmE33 »

so after using this mod have you noticed any issues with the enlarged drum hole and sanding belt issues.
I would think that the 1/2 hole really has not caused any belt holes or weird wear but asking is knowing
Thanks
WoOdbEmE33
Silver Member

Post by WoOdbEmE33 »

well I followed your lead and did the same
Thanks for Posting this
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

WoOdbEmE33 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:30 am so after using this mod have you noticed any issues with the enlarged drum hole and sanding belt issues. ?
I would think that the 1/2 hole really has not caused any belt holes or weird wear but asking is knowing
Thanks
The OP that posted about adding Zerk fittings is Geoff Baker (tusconguy). I believe he is fairly active on the Shopsmith Facebook group, but I don't believe he checks this forum as often so it may be a bit before he responds to your question above. Just an FYI. To get a faster response you may have to reach out to him over there on that evil Facebook. :)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

WoOdbEmE33 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:30 am so after using this mod have you noticed any issues with the enlarged drum hole and sanding belt issues.
Thanks
This mod was originally reported by the late, great, Bill Mayo.

viewtopic.php?p=191639#p191639
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
tucsonguy
Gold Member

Post by tucsonguy »

WoOdbEmE33 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:30 am so after using this mod have you noticed any issues with the enlarged drum hole and sanding belt issues.
Thanks
I have noticed nothing but smoother operation and less vibration (probably more the result of replacing the solid bushings with roller bearings).
Geoff Baker
1951 10ER w variable speed electronic motor with reverse
1999 520 w PowerPro
Belt sander - strip sander - bandsaw - scrollsaw - jointer - overarm router - undertable router mounted on main SS saw table - speed increaser - speed reducer - forced air HEPA filter for headstock - 19" SS powered aluminum drum sander - index wheel system - lathe table crossslide vise system