What is this?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Yahhr
Bronze Member

What is this?

Post by Yahhr »

I finally got into the bins of accessories and came across this piece. Can anyone tell me what it is for and how it attached to the Shopsmith? I have a 10ER

Thanks
Attachments
20220704_190721.jpg
20220704_190721.jpg (54.42 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
20220704_190730.jpg
20220704_190730.jpg (32.02 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: What is this?

Post by DLB »

It is a Shopsmith Tenon Master Jig. https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... master.htm I'm not a Model 10 guy, but IIUC Model 10's have a different width miter slot in the main table compared to the Mark series. So you'd want to make sure it fits in your miter slot if you want to use it. It is also missing part of the toggle clamp.

ETA: It is also missing the miter bar(?) and attaching hardware. You may find a flat plate, miter bar, and knob in those bins.

- David
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

David is correct about the miter slots. The 10ER is 3/4" and the MK 5 is 23/32". The Tenon Master was designed for the MK 5 so it will not work with the 10ER unless you replace the miter bar. Since yours is missing you need one anyhow so just get a 3/4" miter bar and it will work with the 10ER.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As David and John have already said it is the Tenon Master Jig made for the Mark series tools. I have a Tenon Master Jig and both Mark series tools and Model 10's. It looks like it could be modified to fit on a Shopsmith Model 10E or 10ER. First since the Mark Series tools have a slightly narrower miter slot the Tenon Master Jig will fit into the Model 10's miter slot. But because the Model 10's miter slot is shallower than the Mark series tools the Tenon Master Jig doesn't rest completely in the slot which creates a problem. If you have all the parts to the Tenon Master Jig, you could easily make a new Guide Bar (item 9) for it to fit the Model 10's table. I have actually done that for the Shopsmith Dial Indicator Set Up Gauge so it can also be used on Model 10's. Below is the front page of a Tenon Master Jig Manual showing the parts diagram and list. Parts 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 12 are missing in your pictures above. Hopefully you have them somewhere.

_
Tenon Master Jig p1.jpg
Tenon Master Jig p1.jpg (84.43 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
There is one other problem in using the Tenon Master Jig on the Model 10's, their spacing from the miter slot to the blade is different than Mark series tools. The miter slot on the right side of the blade slot is a much greater distance than the miter slot of the Mark series tools. They are very close to the same on the left side. The spacing between the miter slots on the Model 10's tables is 7-3/4" whereas the spacing on Mark series tools is 7". When I refer to Mark Series Tools this includes the Mark 5/V 500, the Mark 2, Mark V 505/510/520, Mark 7 and Mark 4. I am not sure about the miter slot spacing in the original Mark VII from the 1960's since I have not actually owned one.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Yahhr
Bronze Member

Post by Yahhr »

Thanks for the information. I did find the big plate that goes on the bottom, but not everything. I'm missing the guides that goes in the miter slide and the screws that go with that along with a couple other small pieces. Knowing my dad he either used it for something else or never did figure out how to use it. He was pretty good at Jerry rigging things, so who knows what he used it for.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Sounds like your dad was very creative !!
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

For the parts missing in the pictures you posted several are common hardware items. The Flat washers (4), Cap screws (6), Carriage bolt (8) and even the Knob (3) may be found locally. The Plunger assembly (12) if you didn't find it may have to be purchased from Shopsmith. You wouldn't need the Guide bar (9) since you need to make one to fit the Model 10's miter slot. The one I made for the Dial Indicator Guage was out of flat aluminum stock cut to length and drilled for the mounting holes. You would have to drill and tap the mounting holes but you have the Base plate (7) to use for the spacing.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.