Small Pieces - Kickback

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dino9832
Silver Member

Re: Small Pieces - Kickback

Post by dino9832 »

I have to admit, when I first threw the switch on my Shopsmith saw I thought kickbacks were rare. I had no idea how important blade alignment, etc. was.

In one video I watched, it was mentioned that table saws are only for square pieces of wood. Granted, it seems to me that an EXPERIENCED operator could cut raw wood. But, a newbie trying to cut a mesquite limb was a bit much.

I've received some very good advice from this post and I thank you all. I've been reading and watching videos more than I would have had my kickback never happened. Thank God it was minor and not a finger removing event.
Dean
Mark V 505
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dino9832 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:26 pm I have to admit, when I first threw the switch on my Shopsmith saw I thought kickbacks were rare. I had no idea how important blade alignment, etc. was.

In one video I watched, it was mentioned that table saws are only for square pieces of wood. Granted, it seems to me that an EXPERIENCED operator could cut raw wood. But, a newbie trying to cut a mesquite limb was a bit much.

I've received some very good advice from this post and I thank you all. I've been reading and watching videos more than I would have had my kickback never happened. Thank God it was minor and not a finger removing event.
Dean,

Thanks. I hope the feedback from everyone was useful. By the way, welcome to the forum...Yeah, blade alignment is important for ripping safely, as well as for getting accurate cuts. The Shopsmith miter gauge is better than most in that it has a safety grip and clamp built in. Bottomline is you want to be, and feel, in control for any cuts that you make. The miter gauge should keep you safe for most all cuts of dimensional lumber, but as you found out it isn't as safe with a log or limb. Of course you could make a sled or just a "V" shaped cutout (as was mentioned) in a piece of lumber that the log could rest in for the cut. This could be used with the miter gauge to make that cut safer. Glad you are more aware of kickback, etc. now. Not sure if it is good or bad to get bitten by it early in your woodworking career, but hopefully now you know a bit more to look out for. Be mindful of the safety aspects, but also don't forget to have fun with this new tool.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

More "Jazz".
Lack of control by the operator contributes to the possibly of kickback.
I consider(not a popular opinion) the use of push sticks etc. to be another contributor to lack of sufficient control.
There ARE times when push sticks etc. MUST be used, but we need to realize that adds another avenue for kickback to occur.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:33 pm Of course you could make a sled or just a "V" shaped cutout (as was mentioned) in a piece of lumber that the log could rest in for the cut. This could be used with the miter gauge to make that cut safer.
Very good point that a v-block cradle can be used with the tablesaw as well as the bandsaw. . . For sure, there are often many ways to get the job done.
The OP's issue was partly with the small size of the cut-off and it getting caught under the upper saw guard...therefore my suggestion that for this sort of cut perhaps the bandsaw might be the better way to go.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

edflorence wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:02 pm
RFGuy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:33 pm Of course you could make a sled or just a "V" shaped cutout (as was mentioned) in a piece of lumber that the log could rest in for the cut. This could be used with the miter gauge to make that cut safer.
Very good point that a v-block cradle can be used with the tablesaw as well as the bandsaw. . . For sure, there are often many ways to get the job done.
The OP's issue was partly with the small size of the cut-off and it getting caught under the upper saw guard...therefore my suggestion that for this sort of cut perhaps the bandsaw might be the better way to go.
---------------------

+1 on using the right tool for the right job .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)