Turning Mods

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

metalcook
Bronze Member

Turning Mods

Post by metalcook »

I've noticed that there are quite a few people buying used Shopsmiths, especially the older Mark V versions. I bought mine new about 27 years ago, and always had a few aggravations with it, especially in turning mode, and I like to turn. One was the stick type handles, vibrating loose when I had a big out of balance chunk to start on. Fix: Chase the threads about a half inch farther up the handle and install wing nuts. End of problem.

Having to get an allen wrench every time I wanted to adjust the tool rest was a nuisance. Fix: I picked up a six inch bolt (same thread), ground a groove in the head and silver soldered a cross pin to it (T handle).

Next was the tailstock center holder, made from soft aluminum. It would creep off position. I installed a second set screw, which helped, but it still was not satisfactory. Fix: I made one out of steel and drilled it dead center, reamed it to a #2 MT, and adjusted the stop collars on the tailstock for height. I check it periodically, but haven't had to reset it for years.

Being 70 now, my eyes aren't what they used to be, and I wanted to use a headband magnifier instead of my face shield. With the lathe tool rest installed, there is an unused hole in the other side of the slide. I had some oak 2"x 2" stock on hand, so I turned a stub on one end to fit that hole and cobbled an adjustable shield with an offset to hold a goose neck light. Both travel with the tool rest, and the shield keeps chips out of my shirt pockets as a bonus.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my Shopsmith, and I use it almost every day. I have seperate tools also, a table saw, floor standing drill press, grinders, routers, etc. Even so, when I have something that absolutely has to be accurate, I always go to the Shopsmith.
Attachments
Wing nuts.jpg
Wing nuts.jpg (36.76 KiB) Viewed 21676 times
Thandle.jpg
Thandle.jpg (39.29 KiB) Viewed 21675 times
Tialstock mod.jpg
Tialstock mod.jpg (35.55 KiB) Viewed 21673 times
Lathe shield.jpg
Lathe shield.jpg (39.92 KiB) Viewed 21674 times
rcoder
Gold Member

Wow

Post by rcoder »

I am going to the shop and do some of your ideas. If photos are worth a thousand words yours are worth many more. I hope others will do the same when posting ideas.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Turning Mods

Post by dusty »

These are really neat. Thanks for sharing.

Post by rolands »

You Sir are very creative. Thanks for the ideas.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

SS improvements

Post by a1gutterman »

Those are GREAT! I plan to make them as I need them! Thank you!:D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
deanthom
Gold Member

Post by deanthom »

Good stuff, MetalCook!! I especially liked the shield.
Dean Thomas
KCMO
520, jointer, bandsaw, stripsander
turdwhiffle
Bronze Member

Thanks very much

Post by turdwhiffle »

You just eliminated several issues I HAD with my old ShopSmith. Very inovative. Thanks very much.