SS jionter vs other brands

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

harvey101871
Bronze Member

No You haven't scared me off. I'm just along for the ride

Post by harvey101871 »

Yes I am Steve Harvey, the originator of this thread and You all Have been very helpful and informative in my decision making process along the way. I think that after all that was said I'm going with a 6 inch powermatic jointer and a dewalt 12 inch thickness planner, but all the rest of my special purpose tools will be Shopsmith. For the 11 inch band saw, the belt sander, the strip sander and the scroll saw I intend on using the shop smith models. Alot of it is do to simplicity and lack of space. But If I had the space and the money I think I would like to own the entire powermatic line. (Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they like the cadaliac of their line of tools?) But I don't. So I will just be thankfull for the nice shop and the quipment I do have and for all the rest of the equipment I'm about to receive. I have also decided to go with a 5 HP 230 volts Ingeroll Rand 2 Stage air compressor. That should be more than big enough to run anything and everything I could ever possibly want are need to run in my new wood shop. After having to rewire my garage because I didn't allow my self to run enough amps the first time. I now just go as big as I can the first time and that leaves room to expand latter.
Thanks again everybody for all your great input and insight It has been alot of fun and I have learned so much in the process.

Steve Harvey
Davenport, Iowa

I may just be a beginner But I know that I love working with wood.:)
dusty
Platinum Member

Jointer and Planer

Post by dusty »

Steve

Good Luck in your new workshop and with your future woodworking endeavors. I know that you will enjoy the experiences that are to come. You can have the best of three worlds; join those other forums too. I don't think you'll enjoy them as much as this one but they are good anyhow.

Don't just leave us with this departing message. Stay with us, keep us informed. And on that subject, what specific models have you chosen? Also, I am curious, who will be your service provider; that is, did you buy from Lowes, Woodcraft, who.

Be Safe and Be Happy

Post by charlese »

Steve -

Here's wishing you the BEST in the formation of your "new Shop".

This Thread has been a "great ride" !
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
rcartmetal
Gold Member

Post by rcartmetal »

Speaking of air compressors, Shopsmith had one powered by the MkV at one time. I wonder what happened to them? You'd think that one would show up for sale somewhere some time.
Spike from PDX
I like hand tools, too!
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

Well, looking for a jointer I went to the local Woodcraft store and started talking with one of the customers there who introduced me to "Festool". He has a jointer and hasn't had to use it since he got his Festool system and he says most of his saws just sit now. After seeing how they work and their system I can understand why. Have a friend who has all the machines for the past 20 years and he made the mistake of going to see what all this Festool ranting and raving was about. He's buying the system! Not trying to take anything away from SS but I was sure impressed.
dusty
Platinum Member

Festools and Others

Post by dusty »

My wife wants to sell the house and move to the other side of town. Maybe I should take her uo on that. If I work my cards right, I can get into a new place that suits her better and that has a large, large area where I could install my new shop.

If I did that, I'd then have a shop large enough to have all of these larger, stand alone tools that you keep finding, putttn.

Actually, I probably wouldn't do that. I'd build a shop that has an attached bathroom and shower and a dust free room where I can put my computers, printers, fax and copier. I'd probably put in two flat screen monitors. These dual monitors have me hooked but they are so darn big. I can see them though, I just can't move them.
rdubbs
Gold Member

Post by rdubbs »

So...you and your wife will have separate residences, right? ;)
Rick Dubbs
2004 520 w/bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC 3300, Universal Lathe Tool Rest, Talon chuck, & Lathe Duplicator
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

If anyone is interested I just picked up a shopsmith mounted planer that has seen next to no use. I am thinking of selling it. I did order some parts from ss for it. It had a slightly bent mounting post. I live in the Northwest if interested. One thing that seems to be a great addition is the vs feed motor. The ability to slow down the feed rate and get more cuts per inch makes for a super smooth cut.
papahammer8
Gold Member

Dewalt Vs Shopmith No Comparison

Post by papahammer8 »

As A Home Builder Have Bought Many Dewalt Products Dewalt Does Not Stand Behind Their If It Breaks U R Out Of Luck Have Lost Several Time Will Never Buy Dewalt Again So What If Shopsmith Is Over Priced I Have Have A Problem Or A Question They Have Always Stood Behind Their Products No Matter How Large Or Small Never Been Left In The Dark Or Out Of Pocket To Some Mass Produced Tools
manvelar
Gold Member

Post by manvelar »

I gotta say the price on the shopsmith planer scared me off and I got a Dewalt that I am happy with - but the jointer is a different story. I had a Sears contractor grade 6" jointer and it took up as much space as the shopsmith (I have a small workshop). I recently bought a Mark V model 500 through ebay from a fell woodworker's wife (he passed away - moment of silence... ) and even though it was an older machine, the jointer was in top condition. When I tried it, it was smooth running and left a cleaner edge than I ever saw with the Sears. The Sears jointer ran kinda slow, and chattered and chipped all the time (yes the blades were sharp). Even with wood with crazy grain that chips out easily the SS jointer leaves a nice edge. Variable speed is a great thing too (couldn't do that with the Sears). So I've given away the Sears jointer to a friend and now the Mark V 500 now sits where the old jointer used to sit. Now we've got my 510 I use all the time and the 500 my wife uses for turning. How many of you have a wife that enjoys time woodworking? I'm one happy camper!