Reading through the PTWFE club

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I had an idea that I'll float out here.

I see a lot of discussions, questions, ideas, and information being posted but one of the best options for learning we have is the PTWFE. Some have no doubt read it several times, some have read selective parts, some have used it to keep the door open....

So I was thinking maybe we could do a book study based on the book. People can either read the information on line at:
http://www.shopsmith.com/academy/welcome.htm
of if they have the book read that... and if they have several editions they can share from those as well as maybe things you have picked up at a training session or class.

Of course questions can be ask and while you don't have any experts here we can at least post some thoughts... (maybe even get a few that agree on some of them??)

Can we keep this on a very basic level for beginners and try to stay on subject and be on our very best behavior?? Work to stay positive? Make believe we can all play nice together?

So my though would be to start at page one and go to the last page with maybe a chapter per week. We all read the chapter and if you have comments post them, if you have questions post them.

Each chapter would be its own thread? We stay AWAY from subjects like which blade is best... is the shopsmith planner to expensive... the dust collector sucks.... I have the xpk9001 sharpener and its better then the shopsmith version... Rather we look at the wood working aspect as shown in the PTWFE and discuss that for what it is.

OK so I've had my say, so what say you?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Weekly PTWFE

Post by JPG »

YES! Excellent idea/suggestion! As a possible cause of your thinking of this I support you! JUST START IT!

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Go for it, Ed. It is certain that we can all learn from this endeavor.

It will highlight the value of that book and the foresight of the Shopsmith design team and the author.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
randythewoodchuck
Gold Member

Post by randythewoodchuck »

I like the idea. I'm an inexperienced woodworker, trying to learn as I go. Having others go through this with me would be welcome. Just begin the process and I'm in!
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Ed:

Sounds like a good idea to me. This would especially be beneficial to new SS owners as well as new at woodworking. It would help fill the gap lost when the TA's stopped. I am always learning something new on this forum. Go for it.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

Great idea Ed, but once folks start reading each chapter in-depth and realize what an incredible machine they have in front of them a week for each chapter may not be enough.
ldh
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ldh wrote:Great idea Ed, but once folks start reading each chapter in-depth and realize what an incredible machine they have in front of them a week for each chapter may not be enough.
ldh
The concern over time length is (IMHO) misdirected. The thread can be very large and CAN be added to later(not just that week).
Also upon seeing the separate threads for each week/chapter a 'non participant' can become one and catch up.
Please DO IT!

P.S. A way to start each weeks thread would be to post a brief message including a LINK to that weeks chapter! i.e.http://www.shopsmith.com/academy/biscui ... /index.htm THANKS for exposing me to this!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Great Idea

Post by nuhobby »

Hi,

Sounds great. Maybe using the on-line PTWFE is also the best way to be sure everybody is referring to the same text & pictures. (I have greedily acquired every age of PTWFE I could come across.)
Chris
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

Hello Ed,

What a great idea! I haven't read that book for some time and a refresher would be helpful I'm sure.

Count me in. I don't have as much time to sit at the computer as some others but I'll participate when I can.

How about we start next Monday with the Introduction? The intro is always a good place to start and the new folks here might not feel overwhelmed right from the start.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
baysidebob
Gold Member

Post by baysidebob »

Ed, super idea. I for one have picked this book up multiply times to read it and always seem to get side tracked. This is just so much information in this book, and maybe if I did it this way I will cover more info, and for sure increase my limited abilities with my SS.

Bayside Bob, Calif.
I keep finding little windows on this forum, that I don't really know what they do. So sometimes I experiment. Probably shouldn't do that, I know in my shop it can get me into trouble.
Bayside Bob