Battery powered "shop vacs"

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Battery powered "shop vacs"

Post by reible »

Many many moons ago we had a "dustbuster" battery vac that was interesting for its time but frankly fell short of lots of levels. Since then we have been strictly plug in.

Another chapter in our lives and we are thinking that a small, say 2 to 3 gallon battery unit would help out around here. We were out at our storage unit that has no power and had a small mess to clean up..... would have been a piece of cake for a vacuum. And a few weeks back I was doing some changes in the house, made a small mess and by the time I got out the vacuum and cleaned up most of the time was getting the vacuum setup and used.

Anyway we are now in the market for a battery shop vac. After reading a couple of comparisons and watch some "real" world video tests it sure looks like the Ridgid has more going for it then the other brands. I also found that I could get a battery adapter so I could use my Dewalt batteries with it. Milwaukee is also a contender but the Dewalt one is not...... So from what I know at this point the Ridgid is pretty far ahead but perhaps some one here knows some deep dark secret that would cause me to change my mind?

Was hoping to see one up close and personal tonight, "limit quantities" at our local store, but plenty online. Have hopes of getting one at least ordered this week.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
SkullsquadronX
Gold Member

Re: Battery powered "shop vacs"

Post by SkullsquadronX »

Ed, I have a one gallon Dewalt 20v that I use for car and use it on the Road tractors. Find the filter for it a pain, but I like the it small compaq size.
4EE9FE85-468A-4782-870B-2E46BFF197D3.jpeg
4EE9FE85-468A-4782-870B-2E46BFF197D3.jpeg (107.62 KiB) Viewed 950 times
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Go with the ridgid and use Ridgid batteries they have the lifetime extended warrantee if both with vacuum.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Store had zero to look at so I did the logical thing and ordered one. Should be here tomorrow. I also ordered the Dewalt battery adapter and it too will be here tomorrow. Sorry the changer and battery from Ridged was a step to far at this point in time.

Will report back after I actually use it and see if I think it was worth it or not. Got some cat litter to clean up in the back of the van which will be a good test. BTW no cat is involved.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

good news and not so good news.

I like the vacuum. I've got to use it several times already. Picked up the cat litter in the back of the van just fine, then did the rest of the van just because it has been a while since I last cleaned it. Used it to clean the stairs inside the house. Used it to vacuum around my side of the bed. Did the hall way as well. Then used it for a clean up after a project. Still on the first charge. I did not track the run time but have been lead to believe 20 minutes or so should be expected.

The not so good news is the wife is not a fan for what her expectations were for it. So we are in the process of finding something to make her life easier.

Then there is this:
nv5.jpg
nv5.jpg (134.34 KiB) Viewed 872 times
The back story:
nv1.jpg
nv1.jpg (172.83 KiB) Viewed 872 times
The adapter fits both the battery and the vacuum.
nv2.jpg
nv2.jpg (134.38 KiB) Viewed 872 times
nv3.jpg
nv3.jpg (180.79 KiB) Viewed 872 times
nv4.jpg
nv4.jpg (171.48 KiB) Viewed 872 times
But the stack is too tall, so for now I just stick some tape on and live with it. I guess at some point a new battery and charger are going to have to be purchased or opt for a smaller dewalt battery pack. Yet another bridge to cross.

Ed