Mark V Speed Control

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Mark V Speed Control

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I happen to have a decent optical tach, with a specified accuracy of +/- 0.05% + one digit. Curiosity got the better of me, so I just measured the max and min output speed on my 2005-vintage model 520. The results were:
  • Min speed: 1055 RPM
  • Max speed: 6533 RPM
For a target, I taped a piece of white paper halfway around the black arbor of a sanding disc. The resulting RPM measurements were rock steady.

I've never had the headstock open, and I doubt that the PO did either. I haven't put a ton of hours on it, and I've never noticed any significant belt dust when lubing the headstock. Although I didn't do any mechanical measurements or inspections, I'd guess that the headstock still has the factory adjustments, and a belt in good condition.
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

I now think that the 15 X 675mm belt I have been calling the Official Shopsmith Belt - the 675mm is actually the outside length, not the pitch length. I was calling 675 the pitch length.

For an outside length of 675mm (26.57"), and a belt thickness (not the width) of 3/8", the pitch length is 25.4 inches - which now makes the Official Shopsmith Belt just about the perfect size! My only concern was that the best belt should be a bit longer (25.75") to avoid having the belt get stuck between the sheaves at the high and low speed extremes.

Per my previous post, it sounds like DLB's belt also has a pitch length of 25.4" which explains why he is getting low min RPM's (according to my materials, a 25.5" belt will get to 721 RPM).

It would be interesting to discover and review what changes the Shopsmith drive belt has undergone over the years, and why. Maybe one of our historians can advise.
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Here are some pictures of my Mini, taken with the speed set all the way to the slow stop:
Mini Mark.JPG
Mini Mark.JPG (360.11 KiB) Viewed 515 times

The belt, located at the maximum diameter of the Idler sheaves:

Mini Idler.JPG
Mini Idler.JPG (308.21 KiB) Viewed 515 times

Belt location and spring compression showing it is at the minimum diameter for the motor sheaves:

Mini Motor.JPG
Mini Motor.JPG (140.98 KiB) Viewed 515 times
To me, this suggests that the factory belt is very close to the optimum length. From optimum length, I think slowest speed increases with either a longer or shorter belt. High speed operation is different, especially in that we adjust the stop for a specified belt position on the motor sheave. Which therefore is not going to close all the way to give max diameter.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I don't know that these neccessarily optimum but it certainly is consistent with what I consider normal.''It would be interesting to see the belt position at the opposite speed extreme.

Does the belt, when at high speed stop, ride the rib of the floating sheave the same?

Wish you had a tach but I'd bet readings would be very close to "the book".

AFTER THOUGHT: Would it be reasonable to consider "maximum spring compression" to be "low speed stop"
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:57 pm . . .
AFTER THOUGHT: Would it be reasonable to consider "maximum spring compression" to be "low speed stop"
I think so!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

SteveMaryland wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:24 pm Did a graph showing Shopsmith speed curves for 7 belts of lengths from 30 to 25.5 inches. Curious to know what they looked like plotted together. I believe the geometry. If anything else is going on that we are missing, please advise.

All numbers are based purely on geometry, with no consideration of belt stretch, width, slippage, or wear. 15mm (.59") was the belt width in the model. A smaller belt section would widen speed range but might cause problems.

In normal operation, both sheaves move concurrently during a speed adjustment. I cannot think of a standard situation where only one sheave moves but the other remains stationary. As long as there is belt tension, both sheaves will move until traction forces are balanced.

When motor sheave PD = control sheave PD, the sheave ratio is 1:1. At that point, the only reduction is the 1.6 between idler and output shafts. This happens on the graph where all the curves intersect. Regardless of belt length, all the curves intersect at 2156 because 2156 is 3450/1.6.

The 30, 29, and 28" belts are of no practicality but I plotted them to show what happens when a longer belt is used.

A longer belt reduces the speed range on both low and high ends. A shorter belt increases the range. This is what was meant when we previously said "Shorter belt = lower min speed, higher max speed. Longer belt = higher min speed, lower max speed". The graph confirms this.

I think one of the useful results of all this is that the best belt length to use is the shortest one that will not result in a PD going below 1.88" when the drive is at the extremes of range. Going below 1.88" risks the belt jamming inbetween the sheaves.

One point not investigated - what is the belt manufacturer's minimum recommended belt PD? Is it more than 1.88"? A more flexible belt would be good.

If 3450 motor RPM is a real number, then clearly 700 RPM at the quill is an elusive goal on a Shopsmith. To those who claim they get to 700 using the standard motor and the Official Shopsmith belt, or any belt for that matter, let us in on it.
If I understand the listed data for control sheave pitch diameter, WHY are they different for different sized belts? That variance implies the control sheave is NOT at the high speed stop position. ? ? ? ?

Is the data/graph etc. the result of actual measurements, or, simply the results of calculations made with the earlier assumptions?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

dusty wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:57 pm

I don't think it should be used as the slow speed stop. Hopefully the quadrant will limit the spring compression low speed and leave some room for the spring to compress so it can absorb shocks during operation. Without that the belts and the metal of the idler shaft assembly have to absorb the shock from a sudden change in speed like when a drill bit jams. That can burn the drive belt and V-belts or even cause the V-Belt to jam. I think it would be a great way to wreck your button bearing as the V-Belt tries to force the upper sheaves apart.

If the low speed stop can't maintain some room for compression on the motor spring then operating at the LOW setting should be avoided.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

edma194 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:11 pm
dusty wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:57 pm

I don't think it should be used as the slow speed stop. Hopefully the quadrant will limit the spring compression low speed and leave some room for the spring to compress so it can absorb shocks during operation. Without that the belts and the metal of the idler shaft assembly have to absorb the shock from a sudden change in speed like when a drill bit jams. That can burn the drive belt and V-belts or even cause the V-Belt to jam. I think it would be a great way to wreck your button bearing as the V-Belt tries to force the upper sheaves apart.

If the low speed stop can't maintain some room for compression on the motor spring then operating at the LOW setting should be avoided.
In reality "full compression" is the absolute "Low Stop simply because the dial can not be turned any further. I would consider that a HARD STOP.

But yes, I would not recommend that to be used as a reference for dial adjustment.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:57 pm ...
Does the belt, when at high speed stop, ride the rib of the floating sheave the same?
At the high speed stop the positions are, of course, opposite but also a little over 1/8" less extreme on both sets of sheaves. Depends entirely on how you set the high speed stop.

Note - The comparable 1/8" less extreme for slow operation occurs, on my machine, at about "C." The slow stop is essentially coincident with "SLOW" on the dial.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:34 pm Here are some pictures of my Mini, taken with the speed set all the way to the slow stop:

Mini Mark.JPG

The belt, located at the maximum diameter of the Idler sheaves:

Mini Idler.JPG

Belt location and spring compression showing it is at the minimum diameter for the motor sheaves:

Mini Motor.JPG

To me, this suggests that the factory belt is very close to the optimum length. From optimum length, I think slowest speed increases with either a longer or shorter belt. High speed operation is different, especially in that we adjust the stop for a specified belt position on the motor sheave. Which therefore is not going to close all the way to give max diameter.

- David
For comparison, what is the dimension of your fully compressed spring. I measure mine to be 1 21/32".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty